Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is of good report, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, ponder on these things. - Philippians 4:8

Saturday, March 19, 2011

MOVING TO A NEW HOME

     It seems like people are moving all the time but how often does church life become an important part of a move. Hebrews 10:25a says Let us not neglect our church meetings, as some people do... (TLB) For a new family moving to Pupperville church life is very important.

     It had been a long drive for Tracy McDonald and like most kids, she just couldn’t resist asking her dad John how much longer. You see, Tracy and her dad were farmers and the land they had been farming since who knows when was no longer available for them. The owner of the land decide it was time he farmed it himself and he told John and Tracy they had to move.

     “If all goes well, we should be there before long.” John answered. “Good,” Tracy responded, “This trip is getting boring, and I’m starting to get a little ‘down’ in my mouth from sleeping with all the birds.” “Well,” John replied, “Maybe I’ll let you ‘duck’ out of sleeping with the birds tonight.” “Very ‘punny’ Dad.” Tracy said with a laugh, “You really ‘quack’ me up.” “Well,” John replied, “I really know my birds, and I never ‘fowl’ up.”

     A little later as Tracy woke up from a nap she decided to ask her dad a question that had been nagging her. “Why are we moving to Pupperville?” she asked, “Why didn’t we move to Poptown, or Stageville? They were a lot closer, and we know people there. In Pupperville we don’t know anyone. I’ll have to make all new friends, and go to a new school...” “And go to a new church.”John finished.

     “Huh?” Tracy questioned, “What does church have to do with are move, I thought we were farmers?” “A lot.” John replied. “While it is true that Poptown and Stageville were a lot closer, neither of them had a good church. When I was looking for a new place I wanted to make sure they had a good Bible believing church, as well as some good farming land. Pupperville had both. I talked to the preacher there and asked him a lot of questions before making my decision.”

     “But I’m not going to know anyone there.” Tracy complained. “What if they don’t have any kids there my age?” “But they do.” John reassured her. “In fact they there’s one now.” “Dad!” Tracy yelled “He’s running on to the road. We’re going to hit him!” John quickly hit the breaks and skidded to a stop, but it was too late.

     A few minutes later the sound of an ambulance could be heard as a boy lay in the road. John was all shaken up by the accident and Tracy started crying. “Is he alive?” Tracy asked, “Is our new home going to be a jail?”

      Let us not neglect our church meetings, as some people do, but encourage and warn each other, especially now that the day of his coming back again is drawing near. 
Hebrews 10:25 (TLB)

     In an article for On Mission Magazine, Dianne Butts, gave the top ten reasons she's heard why people skip church. Here's what she wrote,
  • 10. I've been thinking I'd like to go to church. But I don't know anyone. And I don't know what to do, where to go, what to expect when I get there.
  • 9. I don't believe in God. Christians are dangerous fanatics, politically unpopular and always trying to shove their beliefs on others.
  • 8. There are so many denominations… even Christians can't agree among themselves what the Bible means.
  • 7. There are so many churches… I don't know which one to go to. Why should I come to yours.
  • 6. Church is for "good" people who haven't messed up. You don't know where I've been or what I've done.
  • 5. Church is not important.
  • 4. I don't need to go to church. I can worship God, even when I'm fishing.
  • 3. I don't have nice clothes to wear to church.
  • 2. I don't have time. Sunday morning is the only day I can sleep late.
  • 1. People in churches are hypocrites.
(ON Mission, July/Aug 2001, p. 46-48 - Fresh Illustrations)

     How important is "Church" in your life? Do you make it a point to gather, to you take joy in attending?
  • I was glad when they said to me, “Let us go to the house of the Lord.” - Psalms 122:1 (NLT)
  • One day spent in your house, this beautiful place of worship, beats thousands spent on Greek island beaches. I'd rather scrub floors in the house of my God than be honored as a guest in the palace of sin. - Psalms 84:10 (MSG)

     Does it matter what is being taught? Does it matter if the church really believes and teaches God's Word?
  • I solemnly charge you in the presence of God and of Christ Jesus, who is to judge the living and the dead, and by His appearing and His kingdom: preach the word; be ready in season and out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort, with great patience and instruction. For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine; but wanting to have their ears tickled, they will accumulate for themselves teachers in accordance to their own desires, and will turn away their ears from the truth and will turn aside to myths. But you, be sober in all things, endure hardship, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry. - 2 Timothy 4:1-5 (NAS)
  • Jesus answered, “Isaiah was right when he spoke about you hypocrites. He wrote, ’These people show honor to me with words, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is worthless. The things they teach are nothing but human rules.’ You have stopped following the commands of God, and you follow only human teachings.“ Mark 7:6-8 (NCV)

     Here's Something to Ponder
  • Do you take Joy in going to church?
  • Does it matter to you where you are going?

No comments:

Post a Comment