Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is of good report, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, ponder on these things. - Philippians 4:8

Saturday, October 13, 2012

I’M NOT ME


Even children are known by the way they act,- Proverbs 20:11(NLT)

     Teachers need to have patience, and when you’re the teacher that has to deal with the antics of Harold Peterson everyday, you need to have a lot of patience. Not only do you need a lot of patience, you need to be constantly on the look out for what ever Harold may be trying next as was the case one October morning.

     It was almost time for school to start and Florence was sitting behind her desk going over the day’s schedule when a young man wearing a mask walked into the class room. “Hello, everybody,” He said in a deep voice, “I’m new here!” “Take your seat, Harold.” Florence said as she looked up at him “We need to get started.”

     “Harold?, Who’s Harold?” the boy responded with his deep voice, “Can I meet him?” “Harold,” Florence replied, “Stop using that fake deep voice, take off that silly mask and sit down.” “I’m not Harold,” the boy claimed in a normal voice, “I’m, I’m, I’m George Frankenstein Robert Spookaschmitzal the Third”

     “Where did you come up with such a ridiculous name?” Florence asked as she shook her head in disbelief. “From the movie I was watching,” The boy started to say but quickly changed his story to say he got his name from his parents. “So,” Florence smiled, “You are Harold” “No!” the boy responded, “I’m not me, I mean, I’m Peter Thadeus Sandyberg the Fourth.”

     “What!” Florence exclaimed, “ I thought you said you were George Frankenstein Robert Spookaschmitzal the Third?” “Fine,” the boy growled, “I’m Harold but I’m not the Harold Peterson you know.” “I think you are!” Florence told him and than she told him to sit down.

     “How can you possibly think I’m somebody I’m not?” Harold quizzed his teacher. “Well,” Florence giggled, “Since you asked... you still smell like the skunk that sprayed you last week,” “That’s aftershave!” Harold injected, “You’re not old enough to shave,” Florence continued, “And besides, I don’t know too many pumpkins that talk.”

     “Pumpkin? What pumpkin?” Harold responded. “You’re wearing a pumpkin mask, Harold.” Florence giggled again. “What!!!??? NO WAY!” Harold shouted as he pulled off the mask “I guess I better go find my sit.” He finished saying as he headed to his desk. “I have a better idea” Florence said as she got up, “Let’s take a trip to the principles office - again”

     “I hope he’s not still mad about the water balloons I put above his door? Harold said as he turned and headed toward the door. “So, “Florence chirped, “That was you?” “Oops,” Harold cringed, “When will I learn to keep my mouth shut.” “That’s okay,” Florence added, “I think he already knew it was you.”

     Have you ever worn a disguise? People, kids and adults, often dress up in costumes or disguise this time a year as they party for Halloween. Sometimes we disguise ourselves for fun, sometimes because we don't want to be known.

     As God was laying down the laws for the Israelites, He made it know that there were some people that were not to be aloud is Israel. There shall not be found among you anyone who burns his son or his daughter as an offering, anyone who practices divination or tells fortunes or interprets omens, or a sorcerer or a charmer or a medium or a wizard or a necromancer, for whoever does these things is an abomination to the LORD. And because of these abominations the LORD your God is driving them out before you. - Deuteronomy 18:10-12 (ESV) In this list, one of the people God forbids is a medium which is a person who communicates with evil spirits or spirits of the dead. If one were to be a medium in Israel they would have had to disguise themselves but look who was actually wearing a disguise.

      Now Samuel was dead, and all the Israelites had shown their sadness for him. They had buried Samuel in his hometown of Ramah. And Saul had forced out the mediums and fortune-tellers from the land. The Philistines came together and made camp at Shunem. Saul gathered all the Israelites and made camp at Gilboa. When he saw the Philistine army, he was afraid, and his heart pounded with fear. He prayed to the LORD, but the LORD did not answer him through dreams, Urim, or prophets. Then Saul said to his servants, “Find me a woman who is a medium so I may go and ask her what will happen.“ His servants answered, “There is a medium in Endor.“ Then Saul put on other clothes to disguise himself, and at night he and two of his men went to see the woman. Saul said to her, “Talk to a spirit for me. Bring up the person I name.“ But the woman said to him, “Surely you know what Saul has done. He has forced the mediums and fortune-tellers from the land. You are trying to trap me and get me killed.“ Saul made a promise to the woman in the name of the LORD. He said, “As surely as the LORD lives, you won’t be punished for this.“ The woman asked, “Whom do you want me to bring up?“ He answered, “Bring up Samuel.“ When the woman saw Samuel, she screamed. She said, “Why have you tricked me? You are Saul!“
1 Samuel 28:3-12 (NCV)
     
     To some it up. The enemy is gathering, God won't talk to Saul so Saul disguises himself and goes to a medium and asks for Samuel, Samuel appears and Saul is found out. I'm sure lots could be said about this story, but the point I would like to draw from it at this time is that you can't disguise yourself from God.

     Even with others, when we try to disguise ourselves, in time our real self with make itself known Jesus said in Matthew 7:15-20 Beware of false prophets who come to you in sheep’s clothing but inwardly are ravaging wolves. You’ll recognize them by their fruit. Are grapes gathered from thornbushes or figs from thistles? In the same way, every good tree produces good fruit, but a bad tree produces bad fruit. A good tree can’t produce bad fruit; neither can a bad tree produce good fruit. Every tree that doesn’t produce good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. So you’ll recognize them by their fruit. (HCSB)

      Here's Something To Ponder
  • Are you disguising yourself so the real you can't be seen or known?
  • What kind of fruit do people see you as producing?

No comments:

Post a Comment