And they went with haste and found … the baby lying in a manger. Luke 2:16 (ESV)
As Stella stood at the kitchen sink washing dishes and dreaming about all she would get for Christmas, she was rudely interrupted by a loud Bamm, Bamm, Bamm, Bamm. “Knock it off, Harold!” She yelled out, not realizing it was someone knocking at the door, or should I say beating on the door. Again a loud Bamm, Bamm, Bamm, Bamm. Echoed through the kitchen.
“Open it yourself, Harold” Stella hollered out “I'm busy!” but all she got in response was another loud Bamm, Bamm, Bamm, Bamm. In disgust, Stella grabbed a glass full of dirty dish water to throw on her brother when she opened the door but when she opened the door it wasn't her brother that was standing there. “WHERE IS HE!?” Tracy screamed at her, “I'm going to kill him”
“I thought you were him.” Stella said and brought her glass of dish water back tot he sink, “Do I dare ask what Harold did this time?” “He tried to kill me.” Tracy said, I was minding my own business trying to do some needle work when he came into the barn and.” You were doing needle work in the barn?” Stella interrupted,
“In the hay loft, to be precise.” Tracy told her, “I have cozy little a hide-a-way up there.” “So how dis Harold try to kill you?” “He said it was a surprise.” Tracy told Stella, “Don't ask me what kind of a surprise because he wouldn't tell me. What I do know is he tried to borrow one of my Dad’s tractors, the one with the front end loader on it.”
“Why in the world would Harold want your dad's tractor?” Stella questioned. “I don't know.” Tracy answered, “I don't even know how he got it started but before I had a chance to see what he was up to, POOF!” “POOF?” Stella repeated Tracy's word, “Did the tractor blow up?
“Harold put the tractor in gear, plowed over the support beam for the hay loft and down I went along with everything else and now I'm going TO KILL HIM.” “If you're going to kill him, I can't even begin to imagine what your dad is going to do to him.” Stella told her. “He's not doing anything to him.” Tracy said in disgust, “But then again, he doesn’t have to go looking for my needles in the hay stack. AUGGHH, I’ll never find them.”
“Your dad's not mad about the hay loft?” Stella said in disbelief. “Dad says he's knocked it down several times himself and Harold will put the beams back up tomorrow.” “Good!” Stella exclaimed, “That will teach him.” “Don't count on it.” Tracy warned, “Dad is going to let him use the tractor to put them and all the hay back up.”
“If you'll help me finish these dish quick,” Stella said to Tracy, “I'll come over and see if I can help you find your needles. “I suppose.” Tracy said and walked over to the sink, “I can always kill Harold tomorrow – if he's still alive.”
Luke 18:27 – Jesus replied, "What is impossible with men is possible with God." I'm sure we can all think of impossible things, things that are impossible for people to accomplish like making predictions more than 400 years in advance and having them come true. Some of those predictions relate to the coming of Jesus into this world.
- Of the increase of his government and of peace there will be no end, on the throne of David and over his kingdom, to establish it and to uphold it with justice and with righteousness from this time forth and forevermore. The zeal of the LORD of hosts will do this. - Isaiah 9:7 (ESV)
- Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign. Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a son, and shall call his name Immanuel. - Isaiah 7:14 (ESV)
- But you, O Bethlehem Ephrathah, who are too little to be among the clans of Judah, from you shall come forth for me one who is to be ruler in Israel, whose origin is from of old, from ancient days. - Micah 5:2 (ESV)
- Know therefore and understand that from the going out of the word to restore and build Jerusalem to the coming of an anointed one, a prince, there shall be seven weeks. Then for sixty-two weeks it shall be built again with squares and moat, but in a troubled time. - Daniel 9:25 (ESV)
- And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger." - Luke 2:12 (ESV)
Now imagine trying to find Jesus at His birth – it would have been like trying to find a needle in a hay stack but with God's help in the form of some angels a group of shepherds found Him.
And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people. For unto you is born this day in the city of David a Savior, who is Christ the Lord. And this will be a sign for you: you will find a baby wrapped in swaddling cloths and lying in a manger." And suddenly there was with the angel a multitude of the heavenly host praising God and saying, "Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace among those with whom he is pleased!" When the angels went away from them into heaven, the shepherds said to one another, "Let us go over to Bethlehem and see this thing that has happened, which the Lord has made known to us." And they went with haste and found Mary and Joseph, and the baby lying in a manger. And when they saw it, they made known the saying that had been told them concerning this child. And all who heard it wondered at what the shepherds told them. But Mary treasured up all these things, pondering them in her heart. And the shepherds returned, glorifying and praising God for all they had heard and seen, as it had been told them.
Luke 2:8-20 (ESV)
The Lord Either God Himself or Jesus Himself are not that hard to find and the truly wise do seek Him as we all should.
- I love those who love me; And those who diligently seek me will find me. - Proverbs 8:17 (NASB)
- But from there you will seek the LORD your God, and you will find Him if you search for Him with all your heart and all your soul. - Deuteronomy 4:29 (NASB)
- His purpose in all of this was that the nations should seek after God and perhaps feel their way toward him and find him—though he is not far from any one of us. - Acts 17:27 (NLT)
- Seek the LORD while you can find him. Call on him now while he is near. - Isaiah 55:6 (NLT)
Here's Something To Ponder
- Had you been with the shepherds would you have gone looking for Jesus?
- Are you willing to look for Jesus this Christmas?