Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is of good report, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, ponder on these things. - Philippians 4:8

Saturday, January 12, 2013

TO GOOD TO BE TRUE


If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. - John 14:14 (ESV)

     It was getting late and Mr. Grey was getting a bit nervous. He was suppose to be taking his wife out to eat and she wasn't home. “Where could she be?” he kept muttering as he paced back and forth peaking out the window every few minutes. Finally, about two hours past their scheduled departure time, Robert heard the car pull into the garage.

     “You won't believe my afternoon.” Helen said as she walked in the door. “Try me!” Robert said. “I've been sitting in the emergency room at the hospital.” “Are you okay?” Robert asked becoming a little concerned. “I'm just fine.” Helen told him, “But I'm not so sure I can say the same for our daughter.”

     “What happened to Martha?” Robert asked. “She listened to me” Helen told Robert, “She actually listened to me, like, why couldn't she have done that when she was a kid.” Confused, at how that could have sent them to the emergency room, Robert again asked, “What happened to Martha?”

     “When I went to visit Martha this afternoon, I found her in dream land, dancing around the living room.” Helen said, “She claimed she was having the best dream ever and said it had something to do with Harold cleaning his room for her for Christmas and claiming he was going to keep it clean.” “And that sent her to the emergency room?” Robert interrupted.

     “Weren't you listening?” Helen scolded, “I told you she went because she listened to me. I told her to go look and see if Harold's room was actually clean. So she could know if she was just dreaming or if Harold had really cleaned his room.” “Why would anyone think Harold would have cleaned his room?” Robert interrupted again, “Are you feeling okay dear?”

     “I had good reason to think he had cleaned his room.” Helen said, “And as it turned out, I was right. When Martha opened Harold's bedroom door the shock of seeing his room spotlessly clean was too much. Martha let out a blood curdling scream and fainted or something. I ended up taking her to the emergency room as a result.”

     “Maybe I should go see if I'm still in bed dreaming.” Robert thought out loud, “So, is Martha going to be alright?” “Don't know yet.” Helen told him, “The hospital ran a bunch of tests but when Martha told the doctor what happened, he went into shock and she had to leave. I got her home but she's still feeling light headed and all jittery.”

     “Maybe I'm not dreaming then.” Robert said when he heard about the doctor. “Well then,” he continued, let's go celebrate. Harold cleaned his room and Martha finally listened to her mom.” “Yeah,” Helen smiled, “We better go celebrate before I wake up and realize I've just been dreaming about Martha.”

     Martha's dream, her wish that Harold would clean his room came true. Have you ever had a dream or a wish come true? I believe I can say I have and I can say I have many more dreams and wishes still waiting......... But I'm not here to talk about me. I want to turn the attention to the Bible. Who there can you think of that had a dream or wish come true? While there are many, I would like to focus for a moment on a famous example of a dream and a wish coming true.

     Solomon had just become king and as the new king of Israel one of the first things he did was to fulfill the dying wishes of his father David. He did and now it was time to receive a wish of his own.

      Solomon loved the LORD, walking in the statutes of David his father, only he sacrificed and made offerings at the high places. And the king went to Gibeon to sacrifice there, for that was the great high place. Solomon used to offer a thousand burnt offerings on that altar. At Gibeon the LORD appeared to Solomon in a dream by night, and God said, "Ask what I shall give you." And Solomon said, "You have shown great and steadfast love to your servant David my father, because he walked before you in faithfulness, in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart toward you. And you have kept for him this great and steadfast love and have given him a son to sit on his throne this day. And now, O LORD my God, you have made your servant king in place of David my father, although I am but a little child. I do not know how to go out or come in. And your servant is in the midst of your people whom you have chosen, a great people, too many to be numbered or counted for multitude. Give your servant therefore an understanding mind to govern your people, that I may discern between good and evil, for who is able to govern this your great people?" It pleased the Lord that Solomon had asked this. And God said to him, "Because you have asked this, and have not asked for yourself long life or riches or the life of your enemies, but have asked for yourself understanding to discern what is right, behold, I now do according to your word. Behold, I give you a wise and discerning mind, so that none like you has been before you and none like you shall arise after you. I give you also what you have not asked, both riches and honor, so that no other king shall compare with you, all your days. And if you will walk in my ways, keeping my statutes and my commandments, as your father David walked, then I will lengthen your days." And Solomon awoke, and behold, it was a dream. Then he came to Jerusalem and stood before the ark of the covenant of the LORD, and offered up burnt offerings and peace offerings, and made a feast for all his servants.
1 Kings 3:3-15 (ESV)

     Solomon's dream came true, God gave him wisdom and much more. We are not Solomon but what are the chances that God would grant us our dreams and wishes?
  • Matthew 7:7,8 - Ask, and it will be given to you; seek, and you will find; knock, and it will be opened to you. For everyone who asks receives, and the one who seeks finds, and to the one who knocks it will be opened. (ESV)
  • Matthew 21:22 - And whatever you ask in prayer, you will receive, if you have faith. (ESV)
  • James 1:5,6 - If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. (ESV)
  • John 15:7 - If you abide in me, and my words abide in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be done for you. (ESV)
  • 1 John 3:22 - and whatever we ask we receive from him, because we keep his commandments and do what pleases him. (ESV)
  • 1 John 5:14 - And this is the confidence that we have toward him, that if we ask anything according to his will he hears us. (ESV)
  • John 14:13,14 - Whatever you ask in my name, this I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask me anything in my name, I will do it. (ESV)
     Here's Something To Ponder
  • Do you believe God can grant you your wishes?
  • Do you trust God to make your dreams come true?

No comments:

Post a Comment