Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is of good report, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, ponder on these things. - Philippians 4:8

Saturday, February 23, 2013

IMPOSSIBLE


Love is patient and kind; love does not envy or boast; it is not arrogant - 1 Corinthians 13:4 (ESV)

     Love and poetry often go together and Randy Smith knew just the place to find some poems for his new sermon series on Love. Ever since she was a little girl, his wife Daisy has loved writing poems and has hundreds of them relating to the subject of love. “Maybe I can get her to write me some new ones.” he thought

     “Daisy, Darling” Randy said as he walked up behind his wife and started rubbing her back, “Would you be willing to write me some of your wonderful poems on love so I could use them in my new sermon series?” He asked, “This may not be the best time for me to help you.” Daisy replied. “If I write you a poem now, it might get you fired.”

     “But,” Randy protested, “You always put together such nice poems. Why would one of your poems get me fired?” “Harold isn't with you is he?” Daisy asked, looking around. “No.” Randy said, wondering what Harold had to do with anything. “Then, how's this?” Daisy said and then rattled off “Roses are red, violets are blue. Harold’s impossible, I quit.”

     “That doesn’t sound like a poem you would write, dear.” Randy said in response. “Well,” Daisy said, “How about this one. Skunks will stink and monkeys will climb. Harold’s impossible, I’d rather be a nun.” “Something isn’t quite right here.” Randy said shaking his head and sitting down next to his wife.

     “I know.” Daisy said, “I was having a little bit of trouble rhyming.” “That’s not what I meant.” Randy responded. “I told you this wouldn’t be the best time for me to help you.” Daisy told Randy again. “Do you want to hear some more?” “Maybe, you should tell me what's going on instead.” Randy suggested.

     “I just put in my resignation from teaching Sunday School.” Daisy said, “I can't take it any longer.” “I thought you loved teaching the kids?” Randy asked a bit stunned at the news. “A person can only try and teach HAROLD for so long.” Daisy told he husband, “He is absolutely impossible. I’ll never get through to him.”

     “No one ever said teaching Harold would be easy.” Randy said as he took his wifes hand in his, “It just takes a lot of time and patients.” “Well after yesterday,” Daisy said shaking her head, “I don’t think I have any more patience left for him. It wasn't the worse thing he has ever done, but its more than I can take. Why in the world did God ever let him be born.?”

     “Now is that the way for a Christian to talk?” Randy asked his wife, “You know God wants us to love everybody including Harold.” “Well, I’m not God.” Daisy replied. “I know that darling,” Randy continued, “But if you ask God, wont he give you the patience you need?” After a moment of silence, Daisy said “I still don’t think I want too.”

     “Well darling,” Randy said one last time, “If you're going to quit, you're going to quit but before you do, I want you to imagine what Harold would be like without our positive influence.” Thinking about what her husband said, Daisy got up and headed out the door. “Where are you going?” Randy asked. “To cancel my resignation.” Daisy said “And look for some patience.”

     Therefore be patient, brethren, until the coming of the Lord. The farmer waits for the precious produce of the soil, being patient about it, until it gets the early and late rains. You too be patient; strengthen your hearts, for the coming of the Lord is near. Do not complain, brethren, against one another, so that you yourselves may not be judged; behold, the Judge is standing right at the door. As an example, brethren, of suffering and patience, take the prophets who spoke in the name of the Lord. We count those blessed who endured. You have heard of the endurance of Job and have seen the outcome of the Lord's dealings, that the Lord is full of compassion and is merciful.
James 5:7-11 (NASB)

     When talking of patience James asks us to consider three things:
  • The farmer
  • The prophets
  • Job
     We shall consider Job.

     Depending on the version you read, Job is considered to have perseverance, patience, endurance, etc. To learn his story we could try and read the entire book of Job but I don't want to take up that much room here. You can always read it on your own so I'll some up the first couple chapters and then I'll tell you how it all tuns out.

     One of the first things we learn about Job is how rich he is. Not only did he have 10 kids ( I only have 7) he owned 7,000 sheep, 3,000 camels, 500 yoke of oxen, 500 female donkeys, and many servants. He was considered the greatest of all people of the east. Even God said of him, “There is none like him on the earth, a blameless and upright man, who fears God and turns away from evil.”

     Twice Satan is allowed at Job to try and get him to curse God. As a result Satan went after all of Jobs wealth, took it all away including his children. When that didn't work he went after Job's health and still Job refused to curse God – he worshiped God instead. While the bible doesn't say Satan was responsible for what happened next, I wonder if he was behind the miserable comforters that came next.

     Eventually God steps in and sets things straight. After everything Job had to patiently endure, God poured out a blessing on Job making him wealthier than he was before.

     The first thing love is, is patient. We know that God loves and we know that God is patient. 2 Peter 3:9 - The Lord is not slow about His promise, as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing for any to perish but for all to come to repentance. (NASB) Therefore we have a great example to follow for we are to be patient to - 1 Thessalonians 5:14 - We urge you, brethren, admonish the unruly, encourage the fainthearted, help the weak, be patient with everyone. (NASB)

     If you want to love, if you want to be patient remember how much patience others need with you. Really stop and think before you start talking – bite your tongue literally if you have to. And one more thing, forgive...

      Here's Something To Ponder
  • Do you show the same patience towards others as other show towards you?
  • Would you like others to show the same patience towards you as you show them?

No comments:

Post a Comment