Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is of good report, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, ponder on these things. - Philippians 4:8

Saturday, January 11, 2014

BELTED


     After several wraps on the door, it finally opened and Barney was allowed to enter. “What brings you out on a cold day like today?” Bill Peterson asked as he invited Barney into the house. “Harold.” Barney answered. “Harold!” Bill remarked, “You know he isn't here, he's at the monastery.” “I know.” Barny said, “But I need to get something for him.”

      “You've heard from him!” Bill said in excitement. “What's he been up to?” “Dieting.” Barney answered. “What?” Bill said in disbelief, “Harold? Diet? Those two things don't go together.” “I know that sounds kind of..” Barney said, “Make that very strange but it's true.” “What makes you say that?” Bill asked wanting to know more. “He sent me a letter this past week asking me to send him a belt.” Barney said.

     “That doesn't mean he's been dieting.” Bill said. “I know.” Barney said, “But he also asked me to send him a hundred Big Macs, fifty large orders of fries and fifty super sized cokes.” “That sounds more like Harold.” Bill laughed. “I cant afford all that food.” Barney went on to say, “So I’m just going to send him a belt.”

     “I can see why Harold would want all that food.” Bill said, “But why would he want a belt?” “To hold his pants up.” Barney replied. “What?” Bill said in shock, “I’ve never known Harold to have a problem keeping his pants up.” “You’ve never had to eat monastery food either.” Barney said, “Harold said that all he gets for breakfast is a small bowl of oatmeal.” “So?” Bill said no thinking that would be a good reason for Harold needing a belt.

     “For lunch he gets a small bowl of oatmeal.” Barney continued, “And for supper he gets … another small bowl of oatmeal.” “Oh.” Bill said starting to see why Harold would need a belt. “Not only that,” Barney continued, “But they fast twice a week.” “No wonder he needs a belt.” Bill said full understanding why now, “Have you heard if he has been staying out of trouble?” he then asked trying to learn more.

     “I think he’s been good so far.” Barney said, “ This diet he is on has made him to weak to do much of anything.” “Well,” Bill said optimistically, “Hopefully he is learning something that will help him.” “If he doesn't wither away first.” Barney tagged on. “Nobody else there has withered away, have they?” Bill said. “No.” Barney had to agree, “But their not use to eating 10,000 calories a day either.”

     “Well,” Bill said laughing at the 10,00 calorie comment, “Come, on. I'll help you find that belt but you need to tell me everything you've learned about Harold stay at the monetary so far.” “Alright. Barney agreed, “let's get looking.”

     In the story of the boy who cried wolf, did telling a lie help him or set him up for trouble? Abraham and his son Isaac never cried wolf but they did cry something else, they cried “Sister.”

     First there was Abraham - Now there was a famine in the land. So Abram went down to Egypt to sojourn there, for the famine was severe in the land. When he was about to enter Egypt, he said to Sarai his wife, "I know that you are a woman beautiful in appearance, and when the Egyptians see you, they will say, 'This is his wife.' Then they will kill me, but they will let you live. Say you are my sister, that it may go well with me because of you, and that my life may be spared for your sake." When Abram entered Egypt, the Egyptians saw that the woman was very beautiful. And when the princes of Pharaoh saw her, they praised her to Pharaoh. And the woman was taken into Pharaoh's house. And for her sake he dealt well with Abram; and he had sheep, oxen, male donkeys, male servants, female servants, female donkeys, and camels. But the LORD afflicted Pharaoh and his house with great plagues because of Sarai, Abram's wife. So Pharaoh called Abram and said, "What is this you have done to me? Why did you not tell me that she was your wife? Why did you say, 'She is my sister,' so that I took her for my wife? Now then, here is your wife; take her, and go." And Pharaoh gave men orders concerning him, and they sent him away with his wife and all that he had.
Genesis 12:10-20 (ESV)

     A famine came and ya got to have food so to Egypt went Abram. Because of Sarai's beauty, Abram feared for his life and lied saying “She is my sister.” Trouble ensued for many till the truth was fessed up.

     Later, following in the steps of his Dad, came Isaac - Now there was a famine in the land, besides the former famine that was in the days of Abraham. And Isaac went to Gerar to Abimelech king of the Philistines. And the LORD appeared to him and said, "Do not go down to Egypt; dwell in the land of which I shall tell you. Sojourn in this land, and I will be with you and will bless you, for to you and to your offspring I will give all these lands, and I will establish the oath that I swore to Abraham your father. I will multiply your offspring as the stars of heaven and will give to your offspring all these lands. And in your offspring all the nations of the earth shall be blessed, because Abraham obeyed my voice and kept my charge, my commandments, my statutes, and my laws." So Isaac settled in Gerar. When the men of the place asked him about his wife, he said, "She is my sister," for he feared to say, "My wife," thinking, "lest the men of the place should kill me because of Rebekah," because she was attractive in appearance. When he had been there a long time, Abimelech king of the Philistines looked out of a window and saw Isaac laughing with Rebekah his wife. So Abimelech called Isaac and said, "Behold, she is your wife. How then could you say, 'She is my sister'?" Isaac said to him, "Because I thought, 'Lest I die because of her.' " Abimelech said, "What is this you have done to us? One of the people might easily have lain with your wife, and you would have brought guilt upon us." So Abimelech warned all the people, saying, "Whoever touches this man or his wife shall surely be put to death."
Genesis 26:1-11 (ESV)

     A famine for Isaac sends him to the philistines where he fears for his life because of Rebekah's beauty. So, he says “She is my sister.” He gets caught in his lie and chewed out for what could have happened.

     In Ephesians Paul talks about the Armor of God and why it should be worn Ephesians 6:11-13 Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. (ESV) Paul then goes on to tell us that the first piece of Armor is the BELT OT TRUTH. Ephesians 6:14 Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, (ESV)

     Jesus said "I am the way, and the truth, and the life; no one comes to the Father but through Me.- John 14:6 (NASB) Jesus also said "If you continue in My word, then you are truly disciples of Mine; and you will know the truth, and the truth will make you free." John 8:31-32 (NASB)

     Here's Something To Ponder
  • Do you wrap yourself with the Truth?
  • Do you tell lies when you fear telling the truth.?

No comments:

Post a Comment