Randy Smith was having a good day. He had finished up work at the office early and was on his way home to enjoy some time with Louie before he had to go on a call to visit someone at the hospital. As he drove home he thought of Harold at the Monastery and wondered if Bill ever made it there and if he even remembered why he was going. He even laughed a little thinking about Bill's story.
After tossing his suit coat over a chair, Randy headed to Louie's room and as he approached the door he heard some strange noises. “Beep, beep, beep. Come in spaceship At-a-wak. This is commander Louie.” “Spaceship At-a-wak?” Randy said to himself, “That doesn't sound familiar.” “Is that you admiral?” Randy heard coming from Louie's room next.
“Admiral? Admiral who?” Randy said as he picked his head through Louie's door. “Let me speak to Admiral Halftrak.” He heard Louie say and than he heard what sounded like a bunch of laser shots. “What are you playing?” Randy asked but Louie never heard him and started shouting amongst more laser sounds “Space ship At-a-wak come in. I’m under attack and I need help.”
“Louie?” Randy called out again. “Come in Admiral Halftak!” Louie said in response, “I can’t hold out much longer, my shields are giving way, ” and then there was the sound of a loud explosion and Louie flopped over as if he was dead. “Louie?” Randy called out, “Are you okay?” But Louie didn't answer. Finally, he walked over to where Louie was laying on the floor and as he bent over Louie shouted out “BOO!”
“Aagh.” Randy screamed jumping back, “What are you doing?” “Just playing with Harold’s new super sonic force field shields.” Louie said as he sat up, “He brought it over for me to use before he left but it never seem to work.” “What is it?” Randy asked as he looked it over. “Some kind of force field shield.” Louie said, “It is suppose to protect you from anything.”
“If it is suppose to protect you from anything,” Randy went on to say, “How come you got blown up?” “I forgot to turn it on all the way again.” Louie said “I keep thinking I can wipe out the enemy on my own with out the shield at full strength.” “And you keep losing.” Randy stated, “How do you know you lose?
“It's part of the shields programing I guess.” Louie said shrugging his shoulders. “Why don’t you try using it the right way.” Randy suggested. “That wouldn’t be any fun.” Louie replied. “Well, then,” Randy said, “How about letting me have a turn.” “No can do.” Louie said, “ I got to go. I just got a message from space station Bean Bag. They need my help.” “Well turn you shields on!” Randy said as he heard a loud blast come from the shield.
Hebrews 10:36 reads For you have need of endurance, so that when you have done the will of God you may receive what is promised. (ESV) We need endurance especially when trials come at us, when Satan tries to pull us down to his level. To give us some encouragement when it comes to our faith, the writer of Hebrews gives us the faith chapter (chapter 11), a list of heroes faith.
- By faith Abel offered to God a more acceptable sacrifice
- By faith Enoch was taken up so that he should not see death
- By faith Noah in reverent fear constructed an ark
- By faith Abraham obeyed when he was called to go out
- By faith he went to live in the land of promise
- By faith Sarah herself received power to conceive
- By faith Abraham, when he was tested, offered up Isaac
- By faith Isaac invoked future blessings on Jacob and Esau
- By faith Jacob, when dying, blessed each of the sons of Joseph
- By faith Joseph, at the end of his life, made mention of the exodus
- By faith Moses, when he was born, was hidden for three months by his parents
- By faith Moses, when he was grown up, refused to be called the son of Pharaoh's daughter
- By faith he left Egypt
- By faith he kept the Passover and sprinkled the blood
- By faith the people crossed the Red Sea
- By faith the walls of Jericho fell down
- By faith Rahab the prostitute did not perish
- By Faith – the list goes on
We are looking at the Armor of God and this week we come to the shield of Faith. Ephesians 6:16 says In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one;(ESV)
What kind of arrows do you suppose Satan sends are way – doubt? Lies or half truths? Temptations? Promises he can't keep? Bad council? I'm sure we could go on. Satan will do what he can to bring us down, to destroy our faith and yet our faith is our shield to protect us to help us to endure.
We have a great list of examples of those who endured because of their faith, whom couldn't be brought down because of their faith.
Here are a few verses on faith.
- 1 John 5:4-5 For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world— our faith. Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? (ESV)
- Hebrews 11:6 And without faith it is impossible to please him, for whoever would draw near to God must believe that he exists and that he rewards those who seek him. (ESV)
- James 1:5-6 If any of you lacks wisdom, let him ask God, who gives generously to all without reproach, and it will be given him. But let him ask in faith, with no doubting, for the one who doubts is like a wave of the sea that is driven and tossed by the wind. (ESV)
Here's Something To Ponder
- How strong is your shield of faith?
- Do you lay your shield down or hold it up?