It was getting close to supper time and Mrs Grey was busy in the kitchen cooking up some spaghetti. At the same time she was working on some bars for a town council meeting. She didn't normally make bars for the meeting but she was sure it was going to be along one so she volunteered along with several others to make some goodies.
Soon it was time to set the table but when she got to the dining room, she found Robert going over stacks of papers spread all over the table. “Are all these papers for the meeting tonight?” she asked as she knew her husband had been the primary investigator. “C - O - N -S - T - I - P - A - T - I - O – N” came his reply.
“Constipation?” Helen said, “You haven't even had supper yet.” “No, no, no can’t you spell.” Robert said looking up at his wife, “I spelled conspiracy.” “You spelled constipation.” Helen said “Conspiracy is spelled C – O – N – S – P – I – R – A – C – Y” “Oh,” Robert said, “I guess you're right. That looks better anyway.”
“Why do you need to spell conspiracy?” Helen asked, “Is that from your investigation?” “It sure is.” Robert said, “And I think I have uncovered a conspiracy.” “Well, I think you need to uncover the table so we can eat.” Helen said, “By the way, what did you learn from all your interrogating?”
“Well,” Robert started, “You better sit down. All the troubles around town have been caused by the youth.” “Are you saying the kids are behind all the weird things going on?” Helen asked as she took a chair. “Stella was behind the messy room, and you’ll never guess who was caused all the problems at the church.” “Louie?” Helen said hesitantly.
“You got it.” Robert said. “The green spray cans were found in his room. I've also learned that it was Barney who was guilty of changing the sermon on Randy, the Miller twins canceled the youth group meeting, shy Bernadette stole the mission trip money...” “What!?” Helen exclaimed, “Bernadette a thief? What's this town coming too?”
“It keeps going.” Robert said. “Old McDonald’s daughter was found guilty of switching all the seeds around and there were dozens and dozens of other kids around town that were doing the same sort of things.” “But why?” Helen said shaking her head, “Why would they do such a thing?” “I'm not 100% certain.” Robert said, “But I think there is some kind of conspiracy going on and when we meet tonight we might be able to figure it out.”
“Well,” Helen said, “I sure hope they can get to the root of the problem.” “I do too.” Robert said, “And I sure hope that smoke detector going off isn't supper. I'm starving.” “Opps!” Helen said and took off for the kitchen.
Then Joab went to the king and told him, and he summoned Absalom. So he came to the king and bowed himself on his face to the ground before the king, and the king kissed Absalom.- 2 Samuel 14:33 (ESV)
Absalom was the son of king David. After killing his brother he fled for his life. In time, he was allowed back but that became a problem. Look at what he did....
After this Absalom got himself a chariot and horses, and fifty men to run before him. And Absalom used to rise early and stand beside the way of the gate. And when any man had a dispute to come before the king for judgment, Absalom would call to him and say, "From what city are you?" And when he said, "Your servant is of such and such a tribe in Israel," Absalom would say to him, "See, your claims are good and right, but there is no man designated by the king to hear you." Then Absalom would say, "Oh that I were judge in the land! Then every man with a dispute or cause might come to me, and I would give him justice." And whenever a man came near to pay homage to him, he would put out his hand and take hold of him and kiss him. Thus Absalom did to all of Israel who came to the king for judgment. So Absalom stole the hearts of the men of Israel. And at the end of four years Absalom said to the king, "Please let me go and pay my vow, which I have vowed to the LORD, in Hebron. For your servant vowed a vow while I lived at Geshur in Aram, saying, 'If the LORD will indeed bring me back to Jerusalem, then I will offer worship to the LORD.' " The king said to him, "Go in peace." So he arose and went to Hebron. But Absalom sent secret messengers throughout all the tribes of Israel, saying, "As soon as you hear the sound of the trumpet, then say, 'Absalom is king at Hebron!' " With Absalom went two hundred men from Jerusalem who were invited guests, and they went in their innocence and knew nothing. And while Absalom was offering the sacrifices, he sent for Ahithophel the Gilonite, David's counselor, from his city Giloh. And the conspiracy grew strong, and the people with Absalom kept increasing.
2 Samuel 15:1-12 (ESV)
Sitting in the gates, diverting the people to himself, putting down the king, Absalom was winning the hearts of the people. After four years of such conspiring, he declared himself king and David had to run for his life.
Through the Bible, the Old Testament for sure, there were many different plots, conspiracies.
- Sin speaks to the wicked in their hearts. They have no fear of God. They think too much of themselves so they don’t see their sin and hate it. Their words are wicked lies; they are no longer wise or good. At night they make evil plans; what they do leads to nothing good. They don’t refuse things that are evil. Psalm 36:1-4 (NCV)
- The wicked make evil plans against good people. They grind their teeth at them in anger. But the Lord laughs at the wicked, because he sees that their day is coming. The wicked draw their swords and bend their bows to kill the poor and helpless, to kill those who are honest. But their swords will stab their own hearts, and their bows will break. Psalm 37:12-15 (NCV)
- How terrible it will be for people who plan wickedness, who lie on their beds and make evil plans. When the morning light comes, they do what they planned, because they have the power to do so. They want fields, so they take them; they want houses, so they take them away. They cheat people to get their houses; they rob them even of their property. That is why the LORD says: “Look, I am planning trouble against such people, and you won’t be able to save yourselves. You will no longer walk proudly, because it will be a terrible time. At that time people will make fun of you and sing this sad song about you: ’We are completely ruined; the LORD has taken away my people’s land. Yes, he has taken it away from me and divided our fields among our enemies!’ “ Micah 2:1-4 (NCV)
In these verse we not only read of those who conspire but of the trouble that is to be fall them.
Here's Something To Ponder
- In what ways have you suffered as the result of another's conspiring?
- In what way's have other suffered as the result of your conspiring?