The steady rhythmic sound of snoring and the heart monitor going beep, beep, beep is all that could be heard in hospital room 207. Harold Peterson lay in a hospital bed in a coma. His dad, Bill sat in a chair beside him sound asleep. Other than going to get a quick bite to eat or use the restroom, Bill had not left Harold's son. This, is what Randy found when he finally made it back to the hospital.
Not sure if he should wake Bill or not, he finally decided he needed to tell Bill the good news and walked over to his chair and gave him a tap on the shoulder. Rubbing his eyes and letting out a big yawn, Bill focused in on Randy and asked him “What day is it?” “I'm not sure.” Randy said, “I just hope it's not Sunday and I'm suppose to be preaching right now.”
“I thought I was the only one that's lost track of time.” Bill said “Well,” Randy went on to say, “With everything that's been happening the past several days, I've lost track of time myself but have I got some wonderful news for you. But first, I need to know how Harold's doing.”
“Doc says he's stable but he is still in a coma.” Bill said, “If I hadn’t known Harold to have changed I would have said he was faking it so he could sleep. Even the Doc thought so. So, what's the wonderful news you have for me. I sure could use some about now.” “Well,” Randy said, “You better sit down because this may be a little weird for you to handle.”
“I am sitting.” Bill said, “You're the one standing and I don't know if I want to hear any more weird stuff.” “Oh, yeah, I am.” Randy said and then sat down. “Do you remember how we thought Harold might have been our hero and end the rebellion and conspiracy?” he then asked. “So much for that.” Bill injected glumly, “Do you know if they caught the guy that shot him?”
“Now that's what's weird.” Randy said, “After the shooting, the kids turned against their leader and turned him in to the police. The rebellion is over.” “What!?” Bill exclaimed, “I don't get it.” “you're not alone.” Randy said, “But it's over, “And some guy named Bud is now sitting in jail, no longer free to lead.”
“I don't believe it?” Bill said in disbelief. “But it is.” Randy assured him, “All week long, kids all over town have been apologizing for their behavior. Further more, Louie said it was because of what happened to Harold.” “You mean Harold's getting shot stopped the rebellion?” Bill asked in disbelief.
“Yeah.” Randy said all excited, “It kind of opened the kids’ eyes and they decided to change. I just hope Harold survives to realize God made him a hero.” “I do to.” Harold said rather sadly and then stared at Harold. After a few minutes, Randy put his hands on Bill's shoulders “Let's Pray that he does.”
In the first book, O Theophilus, I have dealt with all that Jesus began to do and teach, until the day when he was taken up, after he had given commands through the Holy Spirit to the apostles whom he had chosen. To them he presented himself alive after his suffering by many proofs, appearing to them during forty days and speaking about the kingdom of God. And while staying with them he ordered them not to depart from Jerusalem, but to wait for the promise of the Father, which, he said, "you heard from me;
Acts 1:1-4 (ESV)
When Jesus left the earth He gave a command to stay in Jerusalem until a promise would come to pass. That day had arrived and what happened that day changed things and people forever.
When the day of Pentecost arrived, they were all together in one place. And suddenly there came from heaven a sound like a mighty rushing wind, and it filled the entire house where they were sitting. And divided tongues as of fire appeared to them and rested on each one of them. And they were all filled with the Holy Spirit and began to speak in other tongues as the Spirit gave them utterance. Now there were dwelling in Jerusalem Jews, devout men from every nation under heaven. And at this sound the multitude came together, and they were bewildered, because each one was hearing them speak in his own language. … And all were amazed and perplexed, saying to one another, "What does this mean?" But others mocking said, "They are filled with new wine." But Peter, standing with the eleven, lifted up his voice and addressed them, "Men of Judea and all who dwell in Jerusalem, let this be known to you, and give ear to my words. For these men are not drunk, as you suppose, since it is only the third hour of the day. But this is what was uttered through the prophet Joel: " 'And in the last days it shall be, God declares, that I will pour out my Spirit on all flesh, and your sons and your daughters shall prophesy, and your young men shall see visions, and your old men shall dream dreams; even on my male servants and female servants in those days I will pour out my Spirit, and they shall prophesy. And I will show wonders in the heavens above and signs on the earth below, blood, and fire, and vapor of smoke; the sun shall be turned to darkness and the moon to blood, before the day of the Lord comes, the great and magnificent day. And it shall come to pass that everyone who calls upon the name of the Lord shall be saved.' … Let all the house of Israel therefore know for certain that God has made him both Lord and Christ, this Jesus whom you crucified." Now when they heard this they were cut to the heart, and said to Peter and the rest of the apostles, "Brothers, what shall we do?" And Peter said to them, "Repent and be baptized every one of you in the name of Jesus Christ for the forgiveness of your sins, and you will receive the gift of the Holy Spirit. For the promise is for you and for your children and for all who are far off, everyone whom the Lord our God calls to himself." And with many other words he bore witness and continued to exhort them, saying, "Save yourselves from this crooked generation." So those who received his word were baptized, and there were added that day about three thousand souls.
Acts 2 (ESV)
It was the day of Pentecost. The Holy Spirit appeared as tongues of fire. Peter started to preach that this was the fulfillment of prophecy and that they were guilty of Jesus' death. They asked what they must do and Peter said Acts 2:38 and 3000 people made a change. God wants to see us changed.
- Jeremiah 35:15 I have sent to you all my servants the prophets, sending them persistently, saying, 'Turn now every one of you from his evil way, and amend your deeds, and do not go after other gods to serve them, and then you shall dwell in the land that I gave to you and your fathers.' But you did not incline your ear or listen to me. (ESV)
- Ezekiel 33:11 Say to them, As I live, declares the Lord GOD, I have no pleasure in the death of the wicked, but that the wicked turn from his way and live; turn back, turn back from your evil ways, for why will you die, O house of Israel? (ESV)
- Hosea 6:1 Come, let us return to the LORD; for he has torn us, that he may heal us; he has struck us down, and he will bind us up. (ESV)
- Acts 17:30 The times of ignorance God overlooked, but now he commands all people everywhere to repent, (ESV)
If you want to look to change here are a few verses for you.
- Colossians 3:2 Set your minds on things that are above, not on things that are on earth. (ESV)
- 1 Thessalonians 1:9 For they themselves report concerning us the kind of reception we had among you, and how you turned to God from idols to serve the living and true God, (ESV)
- Hebrews 12:1-2 Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which clings so closely, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking to Jesus, the founder and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is seated at the right hand of the throne of God. (ESV)
Here's Something To Ponder
- In what areas of your life do you need change?
- What keeps you from making the changes you need to make?