Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is of good report, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, ponder on these things. - Philippians 4:8

Saturday, December 6, 2014

GOING SOMEWHERE?

     It was early December and John McDonald was out in the barn doing chores or at least he was suppose to be doing them. Seeing how Christmas would soon be here, his mind kept wandering, wondering about travel plans. Three times he accidentally knocked over the milk bucket and once he sat on a pitch fork. Still he had a hard time paying attention to what he was suppose to be doing.

     “What do you think we should do?” He asked one of the cows and he heard what he thought was the cow say “I, I, I don't know.” “Huh!” John exclaimed and fell backward off his milking stool, “Cows don't talk.” Looking around the barn he quickly spotted Harold Peterson sitting on a bail of hay. “I thought you were in the hospital.” John said, “Does this mean your well. Does this mean you are yourself again?”

     “I, I, I, I’m scared.” Harold said, “I have to leave.” “You've never been scared before.” John said, Why should this time be any different.” “This time, I have to take all that I have and go.” Harold said, “I'm moving.” “I don't remember your parents saying anything about moving.” John said, “Where are you going?” “I don’t know.” Harold said, “And that's why I'm so scared.”

     Something wasn't making sense and John was starting to wonder if Harold was all right. “You're not going alone are you?” he asked. “No.” Harold said, “I’m bringing my wife with me.” “Wife!” John exclaimed as he choked on the gum he had been chewing, “Since when have you been married?”

     “Sarah and I have been married for a long time.” Harold said. “Harold,” John said, “Did you escape from the hospital? “Harold?” Harold questioned, “I'm not Harold. I'm Abraham.” “As in the father of Isaac?” John asked. “No.” Harold replied, “We don’t have any kids yet, but God has promised to make me a great nation.”

     Hearing that made John think of what he heard Martha say in church the previous week and started to put two and two together. “You must still be under the influence of that potion that exploded in your lab.” He said. “I don’t know anything about a potion or a lab.” Harold said, “I just know I’m suppose to pack everything up and leave and I’m scared.”

     “Well, I think I may know of someone who might be able to help you.” John told him “Just go to the corner of Elm and Mary street and you will find a big building there with the letters H-o-s-p-I-t-a-l on the front.” “Thank you kind sir.” Harold said, “Who should I ask for?” “Just ask for Doctor.” John said “And if you wait a few minutes I'll even take you there.” “Thank you so much for your help.” Harold said “I'll wait. I'm in no hurry to move.”

     Dr Seuss has a book titled “Marvin K Mooney Will You Please Go Now” In which Marvin K Mooney is told to go now. So, what do you do when someone tells you to go? What if it was God telling you to go? What if He promised great things? Abraham, the guy Harold thought he was is just such a man but God hadn't changed his name yet. He was still being called Abram.

      Now the LORD said to Abram, "Go forth from your country, And from your relatives And from your father's house, To the land which I will show you; And I will make you a great nation, And I will bless you, And make your name great; And so you shall be a blessing; And I will bless those who bless you, And the one who curses you I will curse. And in you all the families of the earth will be blessed." So Abram went forth as the LORD had spoken to him; and Lot went with him. Now Abram was seventy-five years old when he departed from Haran. Abram took Sarai his wife and Lot his nephew, and all their possessions which they had accumulated, and the persons which they had acquired in Haran, and they set out for the land of Canaan; thus they came to the land of Canaan. Abram passed through the land as far as the site of Shechem, to the oak of Moreh. Now the Canaanite was then in the land. The LORD appeared to Abram and said, "To your descendants I will give this land." So he built an altar there to the LORD who had appeared to him. Then he proceeded from there to the mountain on the east of Bethel, and pitched his tent, with Bethel on the west and Ai on the east; and there he built an altar to the LORD and called upon the name of the LORD. Abram journeyed on, continuing toward the Negev.
Genesis 12:1-9 (NASB)

     Leaving all you have known for a place and a promise could be scary. Here are some great promises to those who follow God's bidding.
  • If God calls us, He'll be with us - Genesis 26:24 The LORD appeared to him that night and said, “I am the God of your father Abraham. Don’t be afraid, because I am with you. I will bless you and give you many descendants because of my servant Abraham.“ (NCV)
  • If we run out, God will take care of us - 1 Kings 17:13 “Don’t worry,“ Elijah said to her. “Go home and cook your food as you have said. But first make a small loaf of bread from the flour you have, and bring it to me. Then cook something for yourself and your son. (NCV)
  • If in trouble God help is bigger - 2 Kings 6:16 Elisha said, “Don’t be afraid. The army that fights for us is larger than the one against us.“ (NCV)
  • If weak, God will give strength - Isaiah 41:10 Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand. (NLT)
  • If suffering, God is still there - Isaiah 43:2-3 When you're in over your head, I'll be there with you. When you're in rough waters, you will not go down. When you're between a rock and a hard place, it won't be a dead end— Because I am GOD, your personal God, The Holy of Israel, your Savior. I paid a huge price for you: all of Egypt, with rich Cush and Seba thrown in! (MSG)
  • Remember, You're important to God - Matthew 10:30-31 God even knows how many hairs are on your head. So don’t be afraid. You are worth much more than many sparrows. (NCV)
     If you grab yourself a Bible and read the stories around these verses they will make even more sense but even with these snippets, you can see God will take care of us it we will follow Him , do as He asks and go where He wants us to.

     Here's Something To Ponder
  • Where might God ask you to go?
  • Would you be willing to go as Abraham did?

No comments:

Post a Comment