For am I now seeking the favor of men, or of God? Galatians 1:10a (NAS)
There was a new kid in town and Harold was following him in hopes of finding out who he was. As Harold climbed over fences and hid behind trees, you could hear him muttering to himself “This is sure hard work trying to follow that kid with the orange hair. He just keeps going and going and going. I wonder if I’ll ever catch up to him.”
After following him for more than two hours, the orange haired kid stopped moving. “Finally,” Harold said, “Maybe now I can catch him.” As Harold snuck up behind him, he heard the kids says something about what a coooool day it was. As Harold stood hiding behind a tree only a few feet away, he suddenly sneezed.”
“Who are you my man?” came a voice from the orange haired kid. Shaking and scared from being caught, Harold squeaked out his name and asked the orange haired kid his name. “Everybody knows who I am.” came the response, “ I am Joel Brady, and I’m the coolest dude, around my man.”
“I saw you at our church on last Sunday. Are you a Christian?” Harold decided to ask. “A Christian?” scoffed Joel, “Who needs to be a Christian when your as coooool as I am. Do you have a light my man?” “A what?” Harold asked “A light, my man. It’s time to go and have a drag.” Joel told him
“I still don’t know what you’re talking about.” Harold told him. “The kind of light I want is a match so I can light up my cigarette to smoke.” Joel said with a grunt. “What!” Harold shouted in surptise, “You shouldn’t be smoking.” “All coooool kids smoke.” Joel responded, “ If you don’t smoke than you’re not coooool.”
“You’re not coooool” Harold snapped back. “You’re just a loser. The only coooool people are those who know Jesus and have given their lives to Him. Smoking doesn’t make you coooool, it makes you stink, turns your teeth yellow, fills up your lungs with bad stuff and it could even kill you. If you really want to know how to be coooool you need to read your Bible.”
“Read a Bible to find out how to be coooool?” Joel scoffed back, “I can find out from my friends how to be coooool.” “Friends?” Harold laughed, “I bet you don’t even have any.” and with those words Harold stuck his nose in the air and walked away. “Friends! I don’t need friends. I’m so coooool,” Joel hollered at Harold and than he started to cry
When one goes to the dictionary to find out what "cool" means you find that it means to be - very good, excellent, all right, fashionable, hip. Like Harold and Joel, we each have different ideas on what it takes to be coooool and those ideas are often based on who we want to impress with our coooool-ness.
There are in the world those who are people pleasers those who would want to be cool in the eye of those around them.
- John 12:42-43 - But many believed in Jesus, even many of the leaders. But because of the Pharisees, they did not say they believed in him for fear they would be put out of the synagogue. They loved praise from people more than praise from God. (NCV)
- Acts 12:1-3 - About that time King Herod cruelly attacked some who belonged to the church, and he killed James, John’s brother, with the sword. When he saw that it pleased the Jews, he proceeded to arrest Peter too, during the days of Unleavened Bread. (HCSB)
There are those who are here to please God those who would be cool in the eyes of God like the apostle Paul
- 1 Thessalonians 2:3-4 - Our appeal does not come from lies or wrong reasons, nor were we trying to trick you. But we speak the Good News because God tested us and trusted us to do it. When we speak, we are not trying to please people, but God, who tests our hearts. (NCV)
The same apostle tells us to be a God pleaser rather than a man pleaser. To do what it takes to please God
- Ephesians 6:5-6 Slaves, be obedient to those who are your masters according to the flesh, with fear and trembling, in the sincerity of your heart, as to Christ; not by way of eyeservice, as men-pleasers, but as slaves of Christ, doing the will of God from the heart. (NAS)
- Colossians 3:22-23 - Slaves, in all things obey those who are your masters on earth, not with external service, as those who merely please men, but with sincerity of heart, fearing the Lord. Whatever you do, do your work heartily, as for the Lord rather than for men, (NAS)
- 1 Thessalonians 4:1 - Brothers and sisters, we taught you how to live in a way that will please God, and you are living that way. Now we ask and encourage you in the Lord Jesus to live that way even more. (NCV)
- Hebrews 13:16 - Do not forget to do good to others, and share with them, because such sacrifices please God. (NCV)
Here's Something to Ponder
- Do you want to be coooool in the eye’s of people or in the eyes of God.
- What are you doing to be cooool