Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is of good report, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, ponder on these things. - Philippians 4:8

Saturday, May 21, 2011

LAZY AFTERNOON

"Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." - Matthew 4:19b (NAS)

      It was a beautiful afternoon and Harold didn’t feel like doing much of anything except getting in his dad’s way. “Why don’t you go find Barney and go fishing.” His dad finally told him “But,” Harold started complaining, “I don’t have a fishing rod anymore.” “Than here’s some money,” his dad said as he handed him thirty dollars, “Go buy yourself one!.”

      An hour later Harold was knocking on Barney’s door “Let’s go fishing” He said as soon as Barney opened the door. “I thought you broke your fishing rod.” Barney replied “I got a new one” Harold said as he showed off his new rod to Barney. “And this time, I’m not going to break it over my sister’s head.” “I wondered how you broke it” Barney laughed when he heard that.

     “I’ve even got some real bait this time” Harold told Barney “You do?” Barney questioned, “What kind of bait?” “ Mrs Miller gave me a bunch of frogs,” Harold replied, “And I heard the fish are really biting on them.” “What was she doing with frogs?” Barney asked but before Harold could reply Louie walked up to the door and said “She got them from her Daughters for her birthday”

     “Louie!” Harold hollered “Would you like to go fishing with us?” “No thanks.” Louie quickly replied, “The last time I went down to the fishing hole to fish I almost drowned when a big one pulled me in, besides, I already did some fishing today.” “Why didn’t you come and get us?” Harold asked. “I didn’t think you would have wanted to go fishing for men” Louie replied

     “Fishing for men?” Harold complained, “That sounds like something form Sunday school class last week.” “That’s right.” Louie exclaimed, “Does that mean you payed attention this time?” “Actually,” Barney piped in, “He slept through class, I filled him in later. So, have you had any luck yet?” “No” Louie said sadly.

     “Maybe some of our frogs will help you with your fishing.” Harold said cheerfully “No thanks” Louie replied, “What I would really like are some Bible tracts from Randy I think they will work better than frogs.”

     “Can I go with you?” Barney asked “Sure” Louie told him and than turned and asked Harold if he wanted to go to. “No thanks,” Harold told him, “These frogs won’t last that long. Besides, I’m getting hungry for a big fish dinner.” “When aren’t you hungry” Barney laughed and away everyone went to do some fishing, some for men, and one for supper

      Now as Jesus was walking by the Sea of Galilee, He saw two brothers, Simon who was called Peter, and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea; for they were fishermen. And He said* to them, "Follow Me, and I will make you fishers of men." Immediately they left their nets and followed Him.
Matthew 4:18-20 (NAS)

     Follow and Fish, Follow and fish, Follow and Fish, Jesus said come follow Me and I will make you fishers of men. Following Jesus is a must for all, but even more so for those who would call themselves Christian.
  • John 12:26 - "If anyone serves Me, he must follow Me; and where I am, there My servant will be also; if anyone serves Me, the Father will honor him. (NAS)
  • Matthew 16:24 - Then Jesus said to His disciples, "If anyone wishes to come after Me, he must deny himself, and take up his cross and follow Me. (NAS)
     What is the way to become an efficient preacher? "Young man," says one, "go to college." "Young man," says Christ, "follow me, and I will make you a fisher of men." How is a person to be useful? "Attend a training-class," says one. Quite right; but there is a surer answer than that - Follow Jesus, and he will make you fishers of men. The great training-school for Christian workers has Christ at its head; and he is at its head, not only as a tutor, but as a leader: we are not only to learn of him in study, but to follow him in action. "Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men." The direction is very distinct and plain, and I believe that it is exclusive, so that no man can become a fisherman by any other process. This process may appear to be very simple; but assuredly it is most efficient. The Lord Jesus Christ, who knew all about fishing for men, was himself the Dictator of the rule, "Follow me, if you want to be fishers of men. If you would be useful, keep in my track." - Spurgeon's Collected Sermons (Met. Tabern. Pul.)

     Every spring thousands hit the lakes to fish - along with following we need to be fishing for men.
  • James 5:20 - Remember this: Whoever turns a sinner from the error of his way will save him from death and cover over a multitude of sins. (NIV)
  • 1 Corinthians 10:31-33 - So whether you eat or drink or whatever you do, do it all for the glory of God. Do not cause anyone to stumble, whether Jews, Greeks or the church of God-- even as I try to please everybody in every way. For I am not seeking my own good but the good of many, so that they may be saved. (NIV)
  • Proverbs 11:30b - He who wins souls is wise. (NIV)
     Of course, I've never seen a fishermen catch a fish sitting in his easy chair in front of the TV. to catch fish he goes to the fish and works to allure them. Fishing for men is not much different. Borrowing from Spurgeon again -
  • A fisherman must be acquainted with the sea - he must know the locality in which he has to work.
  • A fisherman must also know how to allure fish.
  • The fisherman must be a man who can wait with patience.
  • A fisherman is one who must run hazards.
  • The fisherman must be one who has learned both how to persevere and how to expect
     1 Corinthians 9:19-23 - I am free and belong to no one. But I make myself a slave to all people to win as many as I can. To the Jews I became like a Jew to win the Jews. I myself am not ruled by the law. But to those who are ruled by the law I became like a person who is ruled by the law. I did this to win those who are ruled by the law. To those who are without the law I became like a person who is without the law. I did this to win those people who are without the law. (But really, I am not without God’s law—I am ruled by Christ’s law.) To those who are weak, I became weak so I could win the weak. I have become all things to all people so I could save some of them in any way possible. I do all this because of the Good News and so I can share in its blessings. (NCV)

      Here's Something to Ponder
  • Are you following Jesus?
  • Are you fishing for men?

No comments:

Post a Comment