Sergeant Halfway was standing behind the counter at the police station looking over a report that had just come in. Gladys Fisher had reported seeing aliens down at the cemetery again. “Where does she come up with these stories?” Robert thought to himself. “This is the fifth time this month. When will she learn? Well, I suppose I should go at least look at the sky.”
As Sergeant Halfway reached for his coat to go look, Louie Blackwood, came bursting into the police station shaking in fright hollering “POLICE! POLICE!” “Whoa.” Halfway said walking over to Louie, “Are you okay?” “They got him! They got him!” Louie screamed out. “What are you talking about?” Halfway asked. “They came out of no where and they got him.” Came Louie response.
“Got Who?” Halfway asked as he kneeled down to look Louie in the eye. “We tried to get away.” Louie said still shaking, “But they got him.” “Louie!” Sergeant Halfway half shouted, “Calm down. You're shaking like an earthquake.” “DON’T LET THEM GET ME TOO!” Louie screamed. “Let who get you?” Halfway said trying to calm Louie down. “THE SPACE ALIENS!” Louie screamed back.
“Space aliens.” Halfway said with a laugh. I think you've been hanging around Gladys too much. When Louie heard that he started crying. “It's not that bad.” Sergeant Halfway tried to assure Louie. “But they got Harold.” Louie cried. “Who's got Harold?” Halfway asked. “The space aliens got him.” Louie replied.
“There's no such thing as space aliens.” Halfway tried to explain. “Yes there is.” Louie countered, “I saw them, and they got Harold.” “Is this some kind of Halloween prank?” Halfway asked not believing Louie. “No!” Louie plead, “I really saw them. They were down at the Pupperville Cemetery.”
When Sergeant Halfway heard the cemetery, his ears perked up. “What were you doing at the cemetery?” He demanded to know. “ Harold and I were going to try and scare somebody.” Louie started to explain, “But we didn’t know there were real space aliens hiding out there too. “If I know Harold,” Halfway said with a sigh, “He’s probably still out there in the cemetery laughing is head off for scaring you and Gladys too.”
“He wasn't laughing.” Louie said shaking his head, “He was screaming.” “Probably trying to scare you even more.” Halfway said. “But I saw the aliens.” Louie claimed, “They were huge and green with things sticking out of there heads and they glowed and shot laser beams out of their eyes. They even shot up a bunch of trees, I can even show them to you.”
“Alright.” Halfway said, “If it will make you feel better I'll do some checking around, but I'm telling you, there is no such thing as aliens.”
From Genesis to Revelation it happened. It happened to the weak as well to the strong. It happened to Louie and it happens to us. From time to time we become afraid and we need to be encouraged Let's look at some people in the Bible who God had to send encouragement to.
- Jacob – On his trip to Egypt - Genesis 46:2-3 And God spoke to Israel in visions of the night and said, "Jacob, Jacob." And he said, "Here am I." Then he said, "I am God, the God of your father. Do not be afraid to go down to Egypt, for there I will make you into a great nation. (ESV)
- Joshua – As he prepares for battle - Joshua 11:4-6 And they came out with all their troops, a great horde, in number like the sand that is on the seashore, with very many horses and chariots. And all these kings joined their forces and came and encamped together at the waters of Merom to fight with Israel. And the LORD said to Joshua, "Do not be afraid of them, for tomorrow at this time I will give over all of them, slain, to Israel. You shall hamstring their horses and burn their chariots with fire." (ESV)
- Elijah – Going to meet an enemy king - 2 Kings 1:13-15 Again the king sent the captain of a third fifty with his fifty. And the third captain of fifty went up and came and fell on his knees before Elijah and entreated him, "O man of God, please let my life, and the life of these fifty servants of yours, be precious in your sight. Behold, fire came down from heaven and consumed the two former captains of fifty men with their fifties, but now let my life be precious in your sight." Then the angel of the LORD said to Elijah, "Go down with him; do not be afraid of him." So he arose and went down with him to the king (ESV)
- Paul – While preaching in Corinth - Acts 18:9 And the Lord said to Paul one night in a vision, "Do not be afraid, but go on speaking and do not be silent, (ESV)
- John – While receiving a vision - Revelation 1:17 When I saw him, I fell at his feet as though dead. But he laid his right hand on me, saying, "Fear not, I am the first and the last, (ESV)
When it comes to fear, to being afraid, to being scared Remember this:
- God delivers from fears - Psalm 34:4 I sought the LORD, and he answered me and delivered me from all my fears. (ESV)
- God will give strength - Isaiah 41:10 fear not, for I am with you; be not dismayed, for I am your God; I will strengthen you, I will help you, I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. (ESV)
- Put God first and do not worry - Matthew 6:33-34 But seek first the kingdom of God and his righteousness, and all these things will be added to you. "Therefore do not be anxious about tomorrow, for tomorrow will be anxious for itself. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. (ESV)
- We're valuable to God - Matthew 10:31-32 - Fear not, therefore; you are of more value than many sparrows. So everyone who acknowledges me before men, I also will acknowledge before my Father who is in heaven, (ESV)
- There's no fear in love - 1 John 4:16-18 - So we have come to know and to believe the love that God has for us. God is love, and whoever abides in love abides in God, and God abides in him. By this is love perfected with us, so that we may have confidence for the day of judgment, because as he is so also are we in this world. There is no fear in love, but perfect love casts out fear. For fear has to do with punishment, and whoever fears has not been perfected in love. (ESV)
Here's Something To Ponder
- What are the fears that you hold on to and why?
- How can turning them over to God help you?