Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is of good report, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, ponder on these things. - Philippians 4:8

Saturday, November 2, 2013

LOST OR JUST HIDING


     “I hate this time of year.” Sergeant Robert Halfway thought to himself while he was busy writing reports. “Every year it's the same thing. Why can't we just eliminate Halloween. It would make life here at the station so much easier. And look here, another report about aliens. That reminds me, I still haven't checked out Louie's story. Maybe I should give Bill a call.”

     Reaching for his phone, Sergeant Halfway started to dial the number for Bill Peterson, a number he knew by heart from how many time Harold had been in trouble, but before he could dial the first number, Bill poked his head into the door. “Well, Hi there Bill.” Halfway said putting down the phone, “I was just getting ready to call you.”

     “Have you seen Harold lately?” Bill asked “No,” Halfway said cautiously, “I was just getting ready to call you about him. Is he in some kind of trouble again?” “He seems to have disappeared.” Bill replied. “Disappeared?” Robert asked remembering Louie's story, “Harold's always disappearing.” “That's true” Bill said “But this time no one can find him.”

     “No one can find him?” Halfway questioned, “Isn't that a good thing?” “Louie said some green aliens came and took him away.” Bill said. “Yeah,” Halfway said, “He told me the same story. Aliens that shoot laser beams out of there eyes.” “Louie told you about Harold's disappearance?' Bill said a bit surprised. “Yeah.” Robert continued, “He said they were trying to scare somebody in the cemetery when space aliens came and took Harold away.”

     “The cemetery?!” Bill exclaimed, “Louie never told me about that. That makes things even worse.” “Why?” Robert asked. “The newspaper said something strange landed in the cemetery.” Bill answered, “And it said a whole bunch of trees were destroyed. It was if they had been hit by powerful laser beams.” “Hmmm.” Halfway responded, “Louie said they shot some trees. But there are no such things as space aliens.”

     “But Harold is still missing.” Bill reminded Sergeant Halfway, “And Louie did say that space aliens grabbed him.” “Well,” Halfway said with a humph, “If you want my opinion, Harold is just hiding somewhere. “I sure hope you're right.” Bill said, “After all, it’s not like Harold to miss turkey and mashed potatoes three days in a row.” “You're right.” Robert said in agreement, “That isn’t like Harold.”

     “Gramps is trying to put a search team together right now.” Bill said, “But he's having a very hard time. Nobody wants Harold to be found.” “But if he is lost...” Halfway added, “He might not survive. I'll send one of my officers over to help as soon as I can spare one.” “Thank you.” Bill said and then left.

      So, what has happened to Harold? Did aliens take him? Is he just hiding? Have you ever wished you could hide? Have you ever done something that you wish you had never done? Have you ever felt guilty and not want anyone to know? Have you ever said I don't want to do that and disappeared, just gone into hiding?

     Think about these people
  • Adam and Eve sinned against God and tried to hide. Now the serpent was more crafty than any other beast of the field that the LORD God had made. He said to the woman, "Did God actually say, 'You shall not eat of any tree in the garden'?" And the woman said to the serpent, "We may eat of the fruit of the trees in the garden, but God said, 'You shall not eat of the fruit of the tree that is in the midst of the garden, neither shall you touch it, lest you die.' " But the serpent said to the woman, "You will not surely die. For God knows that when you eat of it your eyes will be opened, and you will be like God, knowing good and evil." So when the woman saw that the tree was good for food, and that it was a delight to the eyes, and that the tree was to be desired to make one wise, she took of its fruit and ate, and she also gave some to her husband who was with her, and he ate. Then the eyes of both were opened, and they knew that they were naked. And they sewed fig leaves together and made themselves loincloths. And they heard the sound of the LORD God walking in the garden in the cool of the day, and the man and his wife hid themselves from the presence of the LORD God among the trees of the garden. - Genesis 3:1-8 (ESV)
  • Jonah heard God, didn't agree with Him and tried to run away. Now the word of the LORD came to Jonah the son of Amittai, saying, "Arise, go to Nineveh, that great city, and call out against it, for their evil has come up before me." But Jonah rose to flee to Tarshish from the presence of the LORD. He went down to Joppa and found a ship going to Tarshish. So he paid the fare and went on board, to go with them to Tarshish, away from the presence of the LORD. Jonah 1:1-3 (ESV)
  • David sinned, left behind evidence and tried to cover it up. In the spring of the year, the time when kings go out to battle, David sent Joab, and his servants with him, and all Israel. And they ravaged the Ammonites and besieged Rabbah. But David remained at Jerusalem. It happened, late one afternoon, when David arose from his couch and was walking on the roof of the king's house, that he saw from the roof a woman bathing; and the woman was very beautiful. And David sent and inquired about the woman. And one said, "Is not this Bathsheba, the daughter of Eliam, the wife of Uriah the Hittite?" So David sent messengers and took her, and she came to him, and he lay with her. (Now she had been purifying herself from her uncleanness.) Then she returned to her house. And the woman conceived, and she sent and told David, "I am pregnant." ... In the morning David wrote a letter to Joab and sent it by the hand of Uriah. In the letter he wrote, "Set Uriah in the forefront of the hardest fighting, and then draw back from him, that he may be struck down, and die." 2 Samuel 11:1-15 (ESV)
      We often try to hide or cover up, We are often lost and unwilling to be found, yet, we cannot hide from God

     We may try to hide behind excuses, we may hide from responsibility, we may try to hide from consequences but we can never hide from God.

     Psalm 139:1-12 - O LORD, you have searched me and known me! You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar. You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways. Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether. You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me. Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it. Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence? If I ascend to heaven, you are there! If I make my bed in Sheol, you are there! If I take the wings of the morning and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea, even there your hand shall lead me, and your right hand shall hold me. If I say, "Surely the darkness shall cover me, and the light about me be night," even the darkness is not dark to you; the night is bright as the day, for darkness is as light with you. (ESV)

      Here's Something To Ponder
  • What are things in your life you wish could be hidden?
  • Knowing God can see everything and everywhere, what will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment