“How can one family go through so many eggs so quickly” John McDondald thought too himself as he prepared to drop off another six dozen eggs at the Peterson house. “Most family's go through only 1 or two dozen eggs a week but this is the third time this week.” After ringing the door bell, John waited patiently for what seemed like ten minutes before a young lad answered the door.
“Hi, Harold” John said as the door opened, “I have some more eggs for you. “Oh, great!” Harold exclaimed, “I need all I can get for my huge egg omelet I'm making.” “A huge omelet?” John said a little puzzled. “Why do you need a huge omelet?” “Well,” Harold said, “Remember that dragon you told me about in the book of Revelation? Well, I read about it.”
“Oh” John said, “So, how are you going to defeat him?” “I'm not.” Harold responded, “I have decided he is to big for me.” “I thought you might.” John said with a grin, “Nobody can.” “As a result.” Harold when on to say, “I have made a decision to try and get on his good side.” “What?!” John exclaimed in horror when he heard that.
“There’s no way in the world I could ever beat him, so I am going to try and get on his good side.” Harold went on to explain, “So I'm making him a huge egg omelet. I heard dragons like them.” “Harold,” John said shaking his head, “He doesn't have a good side. Not only that, but in the end, he will be destroyed along with all of his followers.”
“I thought I read that in the story.” Harold said bowing his head. “I guess that leaves you with just one choice.” John said. “What's that?” Harold asked, “Get on the winning side.” John said. “You mean God's side?” Harold asked “That would be impossible.” “No it's not.” John assured him. “It is for me.” Harold responded, “There is no way in the world God would ever want me.”
“What makes you think that?” John asked. “Because I’m no good.” Harold claimed “And even when I try to be good I still cause all kinds of problems. Remember last year when I cleaned my room?My Mom ended up in the hospital, the doctor went into shock and Stella became mean.”
“Sounds like one of the dragons tricks.” John said, “He is a master at deception. Even better than you, Harold.” “So,” Harold said in wonderment, “What kind of trick is he playing?” “Just making you think God wouldn’t want you.” John answered, “Well, I still don’t see how God could want me.” Harold protested.
“He loves you.” John said. “I suppose He does.” Harold said in agreement, “But He must be an awfully big God to love me.” “He sure is.” John said with a big smile, Now, what do you want me to do with all of these eggs?” “Hmmmm.” Harold said thinking, “Maybe I'll save them for Easter, that's only a about four months away.”
And there arose on that day a great persecution against the church in Jerusalem, and they were all scattered throughout the regions of Judea and Samaria, except the apostles. Acts 8:1b (ESV)
And there arose on that Day .... Six chapters earlier the church had begun with an awesome start – over 3000 – but there were those who didn't want the church to grow and would fight against it no matter what – Saul was one of those men. We read of Saul...
- Acts 8:3 But Saul was ravaging the church, and entering house after house, he dragged off men and women and committed them to prison. (ESV)
- Acts 9:1-2 But Saul, still breathing threats and murder against the disciples of the Lord, went to the high priest and asked him for letters to the synagogues at Damascus, so that if he found any belonging to the Way, men or women, he might bring them bound to Jerusalem. (ESV)
- Acts 26:9-11 "I myself was convinced that I ought to do many things in opposing the name of Jesus of Nazareth. And I did so in Jerusalem. I not only locked up many of the saints in prison after receiving authority from the chief priests, but when they were put to death I cast my vote against them. And I punished them often in all the synagogues and tried to make them blaspheme, and in raging fury against them I persecuted them even to foreign cities. (ESV)
All this and yet we read that God, that Jesus Christ wanted him. Acts 26:12-18 - In this connection I journeyed to Damascus with the authority and commission of the chief priests. At midday, O king, I saw on the way a light from heaven, brighter than the sun, that shone around me and those who journeyed with me. And when we had all fallen to the ground, I heard a voice saying to me in the Hebrew language, 'Saul, Saul, why are you persecuting me? It is hard for you to kick against the goads.' And I said, 'Who are you, Lord?' And the Lord said, 'I am Jesus whom you are persecuting. But rise and stand upon your feet, for I have appeared to you for this purpose, to appoint you as a servant and witness to the things in which you have seen me and to those in which I will appear to you, delivering you from your people and from the Gentiles— to whom I am sending you to open their eyes, so that they may turn from darkness to light and from the power of Satan to God, that they may receive forgiveness of sins and a place among those who are sanctified by faith in me.' (ESV)
Maybe, just maybe, there are times when you feel like Harold Peterson, you feel that God wouldn't want you, that you've been too “bad.” When that happens, remember Saul / Paul and remember these verses.
- 1 Timothy 1:15 The saying is trustworthy and deserving of full acceptance, that Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners, of whom I am the foremost. (ESV) Paul didn't think you could be worse than himself.
- Luke 2:8-10 And in the same region there were shepherds out in the field, keeping watch over their flock by night. And an angel of the Lord appeared to them, and the glory of the Lord shone around them, and they were filled with fear. And the angel said to them, "Fear not, for behold, I bring you good news of a great joy that will be for all the people. (ESV) It is the time of year when we remember that Jesus came for all people.
- 1 Timothy 2:3-4 This is good, and it is pleasing in the sight of God our Savior, who desires all people to be saved and to come to the knowledge of the truth. (ESV) God's desire is for you to be saved. We are reminded of this in the familiar verse - John 3:16 For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. (ESV)
Here's Something To Ponder
- Do you fully embrace God's desire for you?
- Do you desire God?