Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is of good report, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, ponder on these things. - Philippians 4:8

Saturday, November 30, 2013

I DON'T NEED GOD


     It was that time of year, the time of the year when John McDonald finds himself running all over the county delivering eggs. “I just wish I could sample some of all those goodies being baked.” he would say every time he dropped off another bunch. The last stop he had on this day brought him to the Peterson household and what a bunch he had for them.

     Ringing the doorbell, John was surprised to see Harold answer the door. “Harold!” he exclaimed, “It's good to have you back. Did you have a great Thanksgiving? Did you get a good fill of Turkey and all the side dishes.?” “I sure did!” Harold replied with a big belch, “I think I ate almost half of the Turkey my self.”

     “We're sure glad your Dad finally found you.” John said but Harold paid no attention, “And of course I ate a pile of mashed potatoes and gravy bigger than my plate..” Harold continued. “A lot of people were getting worried that space aliens had taken you.” John interrupted but Harold kept right on talking “Don’t forget the cranberry salad” Harold continued, “And the yams covered with marshmallows.”

     “Even your Dad was worried you would never be found again.” John said trying to refocus the conversation away from food but Harold kept on “Did I mention the fresh baked buns and the green beans and the corn.” “Even the towns folks went looking for you.” John injected. “And I can’t forget about the pie. There were ten different pies this year.” Harold continued as if he couldn't hear John.

     “Your Dad didn’t think praying for you to be found was any good.” John continued, “But it did and now we thank God, who kept you safe. Upon hearing that, Harold turned to John. “You sound just like Preacher Randy.” he said. “You sound just like Harold, food, food, food.” John replied. “I can’t help it.” Harold said, “I was hungry, besides isn’t eating what thanksgiving is for.”

     John didn't like that answer. “Thanksgiving is suppose to be a time when we give thanks to God for all the blessings he has given us.” he said sternly, “And this year we’re thankful that He kept you safe.” “Are you saying 'God kept me safe?'” Harold said shacking his head, “I don’t think so. I had everything under control. There was never a single time that I needed God’s help.”

     “Do you really believe that?” John asked. “Of course I do.” Harold answered, “I don’t need God.” “Well,” Johns said with a grin, “If you don’t need God I would like to see how you plan to defeat the ultimate dragon.” “The ultimate dragon?” Harold said not quite sure what to think, “There’s no such thing as dragons. You can’t trick me.”

     “I take it you’ve never read the book of Revelations in the Bible.” John said, “The BIBLE!” Harold exclaimed, “You mean there are dragons in the bible?” “Yes.” Johns replied, “But if you don’t need God I guess you will have to take on the dragon by yourself.” “Dragons are just make believe,” Harold said a little concerned, “Aren’t they?” “Only one way to find out.” John said and then handed Harold six dozen eggs.

     What are some of the things that you can think of that you need? I think of things like air, water, food, clothes, etc. In Judges 13:1 we read And the people of Israel again did what was evil in the sight of the LORD, so the LORD gave them into the hand of the Philistines for forty years. (ESV) Israel was again doing evil in God's eyes and He gave them over to the Philistines for forty long years. Finally God sent a deliverer, a Nazarite from birth, a man who would be called Samson, a man who forgot He needed God. His story is found in Judges 16.

     Samson went to Gaza, and there he saw a prostitute, and he went in to her. The Gazites were told, "Samson has come here." And they surrounded the place and set an ambush for him all night at the gate of the city. They kept quiet all night, saying, "Let us wait till the light of the morning; then we will kill him." But Samson lay till midnight, and at midnight he arose and took hold of the doors of the gate of the city and the two posts, and pulled them up, bar and all, and put them on his shoulders and carried them to the top of the hill that is in front of Hebron. After this he loved a woman in the Valley of Sorek, whose name was Delilah. And the lords of the Philistines came up to her and said to her, "Seduce him, and see where his great strength lies, and by what means we may overpower him, that we may bind him to humble him. And we will each give you 1,100 pieces of silver." … And Samson told her all his heart, and said to her, "A razor has never come upon my head, for I have been a Nazirite to God from my mother's womb. If my head is shaved, then my strength will leave me, and I shall become weak and be like any other man." When Delilah saw that he had told her all his heart, she sent and called the lords of the Philistines, saying, "Come up again, for he has told me all his heart." Then the lords of the Philistines came up to her and brought the money in their hands. She made him sleep on her knees. And she called a man and had him shave off the seven locks of his head. Then she began to torment him, and his strength left him. And she said, "The Philistines are upon you, Samson!" And he awoke from his sleep and said, "I will go out as at other times and shake myself free." But he did not know that the LORD had left him. And the Philistines seized him and gouged out his eyes and brought him down to Gaza and bound him with bronze shackles. And he ground at the mill in the prison. ...(ESV)

     If you were to continue reading the story you would learn that eventually Samson came to his senses and realized he needed God and God gave him back his strength. Like Samson, we need God more than we may realize.
  • Like the church in Revelation 3:17 we often think we are when we are not. - For you say, I am rich, I have prospered, and I need nothing, not realizing that you are wretched, pitiable, poor, blind, and naked. (ESV)
  • We need to Abide in Christ – John 15:4 Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. (ESV)
  • Jeremiah stated, I know, O LORD, that the way of man is not in himself, that it is not in man who walks to direct his steps. Jeremiah 10:23 (ESV) We need God
  • John the Baptist said A person cannot receive even one thing unless it is given him from heaven. John 3:27 (ESV)
      There's is many more verses and stories we could like at that teach us that we need God but these should suffice. In the mean time, Here's Something To Ponder.
  • What are the things you don't think you need God for?
  • Would you be willing to test God to find out if you don't need Him for those things?
     P.S. - The Dragon mentioned in the story CAN be found in Revelation if you're willing to go there and read....

No comments:

Post a Comment