Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is of good report, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, ponder on these things. - Philippians 4:8

Saturday, November 8, 2014

ALMOST WENT TO HEAVEN


     Randy was excited about his sermon he had prepared for this special Sunday morning. Unable to contain his excitement, he headed to the church building early and paced up and down the aisles in the sanctuary. “When will they get here? When will they get here?” He kept muttering to himself. Finally he heard a door open and the sound of footsteps.

     “ Hello” Came a voice echoing through the church building, “Is, is is izzy, izzy, SHEW Body here?” “Bless you.” Randy said as he met up with the voice. It was Robert Grey and Randy was excited to welcome to finally see someone. “I'm glad to see you back with us.” he told him. “Not as glad as I,I, am, am, ah, ahh, ahhhh, CHOW.”

     “Are you alright Robert?” Randy asked as he reached out to shake his hand, “You keep sneezing.” “Yeah.” Robert said as he grabbed Randy's hand, “The sneezing is just a left o, ooohh, ohh SHOW, SHOW, over symptom from drinking Harold’s potion.” “Why did you ever drink that potion in the first place?” Randy asked.

     “Because Harold said it would make me live forever,” Robert said, “Or at least a long, long, long la, la, la, LABLOUIE, time.” “And instead it almost killed you.” Randy said in return with a chuckle. “Don’t remind me.” Robert said with a shake of his head, “I never want to go through that again. I thought I was going to go to heaven already.”

     “So,” Randy asked, “If Harold came out with another potion would you leave it alone?” “I wouldn’t even think twice about it, it, it ,it, ka, ka, KABOOMY, BOOMY.” Robert said with another sneeze. “Sounds to me,” Randy said, “That, that was the problem the first time.” “Huh?” Robert questioned with a dumb look on his face.

     “You failed to think twice before taking that last potion.” Randy said. “That's for certain.” Robert said in agreement, “If I had, I could avoided the hospital. It was so bad I thought I was going to dah dahh dahhhh FIGULATOR, die. Did I tell you I almost went to heaven.” “Yes>” Randy said and then asked, “Can’t you sneeze with a normal achoo?”

     “Another side affect from the potion.” Robert said. “Will you get over it?” Randy asked. “Doctors don’t know.” Robert said, “And right now I’m not that worried about it. I’m just glad to be rid of all those tummy aches. I guess we all have to live with the consequences of our actions – or die form them.”

     “You can say that again.” Randy said with a smile thinking about his sermon. “This sneezing isn’t catchy is it?” “I, I, I, Beeper bopper DOO DOO, don’t know.” “Well,” Randy said backing away from Robert, “I think you better leave just in case it, it, it, is e WHIZ E WHIZ E.” “Too late.” Robert said but I'll still leave. Good bah, bahhh, baahhhhh ROOOPY, ROOPY, bye.”

     As Robert left, Randy sat back down at his desk, put his face in his hands, cried and sneezed weird sneezes.

     And God blessed them. And God said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth and subdue it and have dominion over the fish of the sea and over the birds of the heavens and over every living thing that moves on the earth." - Genesis 1:28 (ESV) The command to multiply and fill the earth was not only given to Adam and Eve but to all men. But sin had entered the world and everything was going down hill as a result so starting in Genesis 6 God did something about it.

      When man began to multiply on the face of the land and daughters were born to them, the sons of God saw that the daughters of man were attractive. And they took as their wives any they chose. Then the LORD said, "My Spirit shall not abide in man forever, for he is flesh: his days shall be 120 years." … The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually. And the LORD was sorry that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart. So the LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them." But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD. … Now the earth was corrupt in God's sight, and the earth was filled with violence. And God saw the earth, and behold, it was corrupt, for all flesh had corrupted their way on the earth. And God said to Noah, "I have determined to make an end of all flesh, for the earth is filled with violence through them. Behold, I will destroy them with the earth. Make yourself an ark of gopher wood. Make rooms in the ark, and cover it inside and out with pitch. This is how you are to make it: the length of the ark 300 cubits, its breadth 50 cubits, and its height 30 cubits. Make a roof for the ark, and finish it to a cubit above, and set the door of the ark in its side. Make it with lower, second, and third decks. For behold, I will bring a flood of waters upon the earth to destroy all flesh in which is the breath of life under heaven. Everything that is on the earth shall die. But I will establish my covenant with you, and you shall come into the ark, you, your sons, your wife, and your sons' wives with you. And of every living thing of all flesh, you shall bring two of every sort into the ark to keep them alive with you. They shall be male and female. Of the birds according to their kinds, and of the animals according to their kinds, of every creeping thing of the ground, according to its kind, two of every sort shall come in to you to keep them alive. Also take with you every sort of food that is eaten, and store it up. It shall serve as food for you and for them." Noah did this; he did all that God commanded him. … In the six hundredth year of Noah's life, in the second month, on the seventeenth day of the month, on that day all the fountains of the great deep burst forth, and the windows of the heavens were opened. And rain fell upon the earth forty days and forty nights. … And the waters prevailed so mightily on the earth that all the high mountains under the whole heaven were covered. The waters prevailed above the mountains, covering them fifteen cubits deep. And all flesh died that moved on the earth, birds, livestock, beasts, all swarming creatures that swarm on the earth, and all mankind. Genesis 6,7 (ESV)

     Death came to the world and yet the promise of life, eternal life came as well. We find that promise in both the Old and New Testament.
  • Daniel 12:2 And many of those who sleep in the dust of the earth shall awake, some to everlasting life, and some to shame and everlasting contempt. (ESV)
  • John 5:28-29 Do not marvel at this, for an hour is coming when all who are in the tombs will hear his voice and come out, those who have done good to the resurrection of life, and those who have done evil to the resurrection of judgment. (ESV)
     It is through Jesus that death is destroyed and life is given.
  • 2 Timothy 1:10 and which now has been manifested through the appearing of our Savior Christ Jesus, who abolished death and brought life and immortality to light through the gospel, (ESV)
  • John 6:51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. And the bread that I will give for the life of the world is my flesh." (ESV)
     Let's add
  • John 8:51Truly, truly, I say to you, if anyone keeps my word, he will never see death." (ESV)
  • John 11:26 and everyone who lives and believes in me shall never die. Do you believe this?" (ESV)
     Here's Something To Ponder
  • Are you willing to ignore what happened tot he people in the days of Noah?
  • What are you willing to do to live?

No comments:

Post a Comment