Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is of good report, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, ponder on these things. - Philippians 4:8

Saturday, November 22, 2014

HAROLD’S IN CHARGE

     It was a quiet and peaceful afternoon and Robert Grey thought he would lay back in his easy chair and do what old people do – if he could only remember. “Maybe I'll just take a nap.” He thought to himself, “Or maybe I'll go answer the door.” for someone was pounding on the door. That someone didn't wait to be let in and let herself in. It was Stella Peterson and she came in growling.

     “Is there something wrong, Stella?” Robert asked, “You're interrupting my nap.” “YES!” Stella snapped, “And it begins with a capital H.” “Oh great.” Robert sighed, “I thought Harold was going to keep his promise.” “Huh?” Stella said, “What promise?” “Your dad said he promised to never make another potion.” Robert said.

     “Oh, that promise.” Stella said “I take it he didn't keep it?” Robert asked. “Only if he wouldn't have.” Stella said “Not only is he keeping that promise but he’s been keeping all his promises.” “And that’s a problem?” Robert asked a little confused, “I thought that would be wonderful news.” “Don't you get?” Stella growled, “Mom and Dad now think they can trust him.”

     “Yeah?” Robert said. “And now they put him in charge when ever they go somewhere.” Stella continued, “And I hate it.” “Who used to be in charge?” Robert asked, “I was, Grandpa.” Stella said, “And I could do what ever I want. Now, Harold is making me follow the rules.” “Well good for him.” Robert said happily, “It sure is nice to see how much Harold has changed.”

     “GOOD?” Stella yelled out, “That’s probably the worst thing you could say. He’s driving me crazy.” “what's wrong with following the rules?” Robert asked. “Well,” Stella snorted, “Nothing if your somebody else, but I’m suppose to be above the rules.” “Since when?” Robert said in a harsh tone. “Since I said so.” Stella snapped, “After all I am the best girl in the world.”

     “Sounds to me as if YOU have a problem.” Robert said. “That’s what I said, Grandpa.” Stella responded, “And I need to get rid of it.” “Maybe yo should start by praying for God’s help.” Robert suggested, “And then you can make a plan to do something about it.” “That won't exactly work.” Stella said, “Harold and God are good friends now.”

     “Stella!” Robert said sternly, “Harold is not your problem.” “YES HE IS!!” Stella shout back, “And And I’m going to get rid of him myself. I know, I’ll rig his science lab to destroy him. Than it will look like an accident.” “Oh NO you don't” Robert said as he headed towards his granddaughter but she was to quick and ran from the house with a sinister laugh. “So much for mu nap.” Robert said, “Looks like I have a problem to try and stop.”

      But no one has ever been able to tame the tongue. It is evil and uncontrollable, full of deadly poison. We use it to give thanks to our Lord and Father and also to curse other people, who are created in the likeness of God. 
James 3:8-9 (TEV)

     How many of you have a tongue? Tongues can taste some wonderful things and somethings that are not so wonderful. Tongues can say some wonderful things but they can also say some really awful things. By our choice we use our tongues to bless and to curse. In Genesis 9 we find one man's choice brings the choice to curse and bless by another.

      The sons of Noah who went out of the boat were Shem, Ham, and Japheth. These three sons of Noah were the ancestors of all the people on earth. Noah, who was a farmer, was the first man to plant a vineyard. After he drank some of the wine, he became drunk, took off his clothes, and lay naked in his tent. When Ham, the father of Canaan, saw that his father was naked, he went out and told his two brothers. Then Shem and Japheth took a robe and held it behind them on their shoulders. They walked backward into the tent and covered their father, keeping their faces turned away so as not to see him naked. When Noah sobered up and learned what his youngest son had done to him, he said, "A curse on Canaan! He will be a slave to his brothers. Give praise to the LORD, the God of Shem! Canaan will be the slave of Shem. May God cause Japheth to increase! May his descendants live with the people of Shem! Canaan will be the slave of Japheth."
Genesis 9:18-27 (TEV)

     Canaan was cursed while his uncles were blessed and all because of Ham's choice a choice to honor or dishonor his father. In the puppet story Stella had a choice, one to obey of disobey her parents by obeying or disobeying her brother Harold who had been put in charge. We all need to make choices. We can see the need for choices in the Bible and see how some have chosen in the sample verses below.
  • Joshua 24:15 "If you decide that it's a bad thing to worship GOD, then choose a god you'd rather serve—and do it today. Choose one of the gods your ancestors worshiped from the country beyond The River, or one of the gods of the Amorites, on whose land you're now living. As for me and my family, we'll worship GOD." (MSG) – We can't serve to master. If we try we become unstable
  • Ruth 1:16 But Ruth replied, "Don't make me leave you, for I want to go wherever you go and to live wherever you live; your people shall be my people, and your God shall be my God; (TLB) – Choosing to stay with God can have an impact way into the future – Ruth became part of the lineage of Jesus.
  • 1 Kings 3:9 Give me an understanding mind so that I can govern your people well and know the difference between what is right and what is wrong. For who by himself is able to carry such a heavy responsibility?" (TLB) – We all wish we could have wishes come true. Solomon was allowed to have a wish come true and he choice wisely. Would we?
  • Psalm 119:173 Stand ready to help me because I have chosen to follow your will. (TLB) - Could we say the same thing?
  • Luke 10:42 Only one thing is important. Mary has chosen the better thing, and it will never be taken away from her. (NCV) – Martha had been complaining but Jesus reminder her that Mary had made the right choice. Would we?
     Here's Something To Ponder
  • Do you have problems with other people doing what is right?
  • What kind of choice would yo make if you were Stella or Ham?

No comments:

Post a Comment