Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is of good report, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, ponder on these things. - Philippians 4:8

Saturday, February 14, 2015

DON’T MAKE ME LAUGH


     After wandering the streets of Pupperville for several hours, Papa Purple decided he better head back to the Pizzeria. Bill Peterson had been sitting in a comer booth when he appeared to come down with the dreaded Peterson Disease and took off. Papa Purple had thought he could help the police find Bill and took off leaving his Pizzeria unattended. Of course he wasn't too worried as he hadn't had any customers for several days do to the Peterson disease.

     As he walked back into the pizzeria he was shocked to see Bill Peterson sitting back in the corner booth where he had been sitting earlier and just like earlier, he was staring at a glass of water. “Is that you, Bill?” Papa Purple asked, “Or are you General George Washington?” “Of course it's me.” Bill answered, “What's it take to get a pizza around here?”

     “I thought you had the Peterson disease?” Papa Purple said to which Bill immediately let out a loud scream. “Are you okay?” Papa Purple asked not sure what to do. “You mentioned that, that, that...” Bill said to which Papa Purple finished by saying “Peterson disease.” When Bill heard that he let out another loud scream.

     “But I was sure you had it.” Papa Purple said. “I did.” Bill said, “But it has been a very strange day. As I was on my way to Valley Forge, I met a strange looking man.” “With this disease going around that's not so strange.” Papa Purple injected. “Yeah,” Bill Said, “But this man was strange. He was glowing.”

     “Glowing people?” Papa purple send with a snort, “You are still sick. You need to get to the hospital.” “But I'm cured.” Bil said, “I don't really know how but I'm cured. I think it had something to do with the strange man that showed up. Do you suppose he could have been an angel?” “Why do you say that?” Papa Purple asked.

     “Because of what he told me.” Bill said, “He told me that I didn’t need to change my name.” “So.” Papa purple said, “I could have told you that.” “But,” Protested, Bill, “You're the only one I told that to. And then the man told me that the whole town was going to get the disease, but not to worry they would all get better and thank me.”

     “You definitely need to get to the hospital.” Papa Purple said, “That message is way too starnge to be true.” “I thought so too.” Bill said, “I even started laughing. I told him that it was impossible that anybody would thank me for all of this.”

     “What happened after that?” Papa Purple asked. “He disappeared.” Bill replied, “Into thin air. And then, I found myself healed and sitting back hear in this booth.” “Wow!” Papa Purple exclaimed, “That is strange.” “Tell me about it.” Bill said and then after a short pause he continued, “Wait, I just told you about it. I need to go. See you later.”

      And God said to Abraham, "As for Sarai your wife, you shall not call her name Sarai, but Sarah shall be her name. I will bless her, and moreover, I will give you a son by her. I will bless her, and she shall become nations; kings of peoples shall come from her." Then Abraham fell on his face and laughed and said to himself, "Shall a child be born to a man who is a hundred years old? Shall Sarah, who is ninety years old, bear a child?"
Genesis 17:15-17 (ESV)

     God reaffirmed His promise to Abraham that Sarah would have a son and Abraham laughed but he's not the only one to laugh because he though it was impossible.

      And the LORD appeared to him by the oaks of Mamre, as he sat at the door of his tent in the heat of the day. He lifted up his eyes and looked, and behold, three men were standing in front of him. When he saw them, he ran from the tent door to meet them and bowed himself to the earth ... And Abraham ran to the herd and took a calf, tender and good, and gave it to a young man, who prepared it quickly. Then he took curds and milk and the calf that he had prepared, and set it before them. And he stood by them under the tree while they ate. They said to him, "Where is Sarah your wife?" And he said, "She is in the tent." The LORD said, "I will surely return to you about this time next year, and Sarah your wife shall have a son." And Sarah was listening at the tent door behind him. Now Abraham and Sarah were old, advanced in years. The way of women had ceased to be with Sarah. So Sarah laughed to herself, saying, "After I am worn out, and my lord is old, shall I have pleasure?" The LORD said to Abraham, "Why did Sarah laugh and say, 'Shall I indeed bear a child, now that I am old?' Is anything too hard for the LORD? At the appointed time I will return to you about this time next year, and Sarah shall have a son." But Sarah denied it, saying, "I did not laugh," for she was afraid. He said, "No, but you did laugh."
Genesis 18:1- 14 (ESV)

     In Deuteronomy 10:19 God told the people "Therefore love the stranger, for you were strangers in the land of Egypt. (NKJV) In Romans 12:13 the idea is conveyed again where it says Share with God’s people who need help. Bring strangers in need into your homes. (NCV) Abraham saw what to us appear to be strangers and he treated them to hospitality. In Hebrews 13:2 we are reminded Don't forget to show hospitality to strangers, for some who have done this have entertained angels without realizing it! (NLT)

     Have you ever showed hospitality to a stranger? Have you entertained angels without knowing it? The angels that Abraham brought a message like the angel brought to Bill in our Pupperville story, a message that was hard to believe, a message that made the hearer laugh. While we could go on to talk about other angelic visits in the Bible, I would like to focus on the angels words in verse 14 “Is anything too hard for the LORD?” If God says He will do something, He will do it because He can do it.
  • Jeremiah 32:17 Oh, Lord GOD, you made the skies and the earth with your very great power. There is nothing too hard for you to do. (NCV)
  • Matthew 19:26 Jesus looked at them and said, “This is something people cannot do, but God can do all things. (NCV)
  • Luke 1:37 For nothing is impossible with God. (NLT)
     Here's Something To Ponder
  • When God tells you He will do something that seems impossible will you believe Him or laugh at Him?
  • In What ways has God tested you with what seems impossible?

No comments:

Post a Comment