Finally, brethren, whatever is true, whatever is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely , whatever is of good report, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, ponder on these things. - Philippians 4:8

Saturday, February 28, 2015

HELP


      Knowing what their dad was up to, Harold and Stella Peterson starting roaming the streets in Pupperville looking for somebody that was normal. After several hours of trying to find some normal people they met up at the Pizzeria to see if the other had found someone. As they sat down in a booth, Papa Purple came over to take their order. “I see I finally have some normal people.” he said “What'll it be.”

      “How about something normal.” Stella said. “This town is driving me crazy.” “Tell me about.” Papa Purple said sarcastically. “This morning I heard my mom calling “Here Kitty, kitty, kitty. Here Kitty, kitty, kitty.” Stella went on to tell, “And we don't even have a cat. It turned out, she was looking for her lost lions for tonight's circus act.”

      “I didn't really mean you had to tell me about it.” Papa purple said. “But if you are, what can you tell me about the circus or was that not real?” “Not real.” Stella said. “I wish we could find some normal people.” “I'm normal.” Papa purple said, “well, sort of. I guess it depends on who you talk too.”

      “Earlier, I was over at the church building and I saw Daisy walking around sining Amazing Grace.” Harold said. “I thought she sounded normal until I tried to talk to her. I asked her if she was normal and she said she could write a song about normal and call it 'Normal People Need Him Too' by Fanny Crosby. She thought she was Fanny Crosby and when I told her she wasn't she told me I needed to get my eye sight checked.”

      “There's not a normal person in town.” Stella said. “You're normal.” Papa Purple said. “Of course I am.” Stella said, “The doctors cured me.” “Well, why don’t they do something about the rest of the people?” Papa Purple asked. “They can't” Harold answered, “They’re too busy preparing to go to the moon. The doctors all think their astronauts.”

      “What about the nurses?” Papa Purple asked next. “You DON'T want to know.” Stella said. “And my grandma thinks she's Princess Leah.” “And the preacher thinks he's Billy Graham.” Harold added, “And the fire department thinks they're all NASCAR drivers.” “What about your Dad?” Papa Purple interrupted, “Isn't he normal now?”

      “Yeah.” Harold said, “He over at the church praying for everybody.” “And we've been looking for somebody to pray with him.” Stella added. “Say, what about you?” Harold added “You could pray with us. By the way, why haven't you caught the Peterson Disease?” “I have no idea what you are talking about.” Papa Purple replied, “And why am I in this crummy pizza joint. Great Chefs like me belong in Paris.”

      “So much for pizza.” Harold sighed, “Let's get to the church building.” “I'm right behind you.” Stella replied.

      Abram settled in the land of Canaan, while Lot settled among the cities of the valley and moved his tent as far as Sodom. Now the men of Sodom were wicked, great sinners against the LORD.
Genesis 13:12-13 (ESV)

      When we first learned of Sodom and Gomorrah, Lot had chosen to go live by them and we were told of their wickedness. Later we learned how Abraham went to the rescue of Sodom and Gomorrah when Lot was captured. Guess what? Troubles brewing again for Sodom, Gomorrah and Lot and it Lot is going to need to be rescued again.

      Then the men set out from there, and they looked down toward Sodom. And Abraham went with them to set them on their way. The LORD said, "Shall I hide from Abraham what I am about to do, … Then the LORD said, "Because the outcry against Sodom and Gomorrah is great and their sin is very grave, I will go down to see whether they have done altogether according to the outcry that has come to me. And if not, I will know." So the men turned from there and went toward Sodom, but Abraham still stood before the LORD. Then Abraham drew near and said, "Will you indeed sweep away the righteous with the wicked? Suppose there are fifty righteous within the city. Will you then sweep away the place and not spare it for the fifty righteous who are in it? ... Then he said, "Oh let not the Lord be angry, and I will speak again but this once. Suppose ten are found there." He answered, "For the sake of ten I will not destroy it." And the LORD went his way, when he had finished speaking to Abraham, and Abraham returned to his place.
Genesis 18:16-33 (ESV)

      God makes a choice to let Abraham know what He is going to do. Abraham, of course, knows that Lot is down their and he is concerned that God would destroy him so, Abraham starts negotiating with God to keep Him from destroying the righteous and God agrees not to destroy Sodom and Gomorrah if ten righteous people could be found.

      Abraham is not the only one in the Bible to intercede, to try and help someone else. Moses did in Exodus 32:31-32 where we read So Moses returned to the LORD and said, "Alas, this people have sinned a great sin. They have made for themselves gods of gold. But now, if you will forgive their sin—but if not, please blot me out of your book that you have written." (ESV) Even Jesus did many times. One time He did was in Luke 22:31-32 where He interceded for Simon (Peter) "Simon, Simon, behold, Satan demanded to have you, that he might sift you like wheat, but I have prayed for you that your faith may not fail. And when you have turned again, strengthen your brothers." (ESV)

      God's word tells us we are to help other by praying for them and to help ourselves by praying for ourselves as well.

  • 1 Timothy 2:1-2 First, I tell you to pray for all people, asking God for what they need and being thankful to him. Pray for rulers and for all who have authority so that we can have quiet and peaceful lives full of worship and respect for God. (NCV)
  • Matthew 5:44 But I say to you, love your enemies. Pray for those who hurt you. (NCV)
  • Ephesians 6:18 Pray in the Spirit at all times with all kinds of prayers, asking for everything you need. To do this you must always be ready and never give up. Always pray for all God’s people. (NCV)
  • Philippians 4:6-7 Do not worry about anything, but pray and ask God for everything you need, always giving thanks. And God’s peace, which is so great we cannot understand it, will keep your hearts and minds in Christ Jesus. (NCV)

      Here's Something To Ponder
  • How have others helped you by praying for you?
  • In what ways do you help other by praying for them?

No comments:

Post a Comment